Sling TSi builder sometime in 2021

Come and introduce yourself here.
The Dreamer

Sling TSi builder sometime in 2021

Post by The Dreamer »

Hi guys, and ladies,

Most likely will pull the trigger and order a kit later this year, or early next. Just getting finances in place.

Based in the U.K., apparently, if I go ahead, I’ll be the most Northern builder in the country.

My eldest (18yr old) lad wants to fly for a career, and he was due to do an integrated fATPL course later this year. That’s obviously not going to happen, so a slow burn, modular route is the way forward for him - and in between courses, he can help build this aircraft - and once complete, can build some hours in it.

I haven’t instructed for years, but intend renewing my SEP and then instructors tickets, so I can do a lot of his IR stuff etc. (Shame the TSi isn’t aerobatic, as I’d like to teach him in that field too - but that’s getting quite a way ahead of ourselves).

There is a grass strip just a few miles from us, which at 420m long should be able to accommodate the TSi. The chap that owns/runs the strip is also the local LAA (EAA UK equivalent) inspector, so will be getting to know him quite well over the next year or two!

The build will take place in our double garage (just clearing out stuff from my last project), and hopefully then be finished off at the strip.

Heard about the Sling from a colleague I was flying with a few months back - apparently there are 3 or 4 Sling builders on our fleet (I’m one of the lucky chaps still employed as a 787 skipper with our company).

Never done anything like this before. Tinkering with cars in my youth, and can change discs and pads, but that’s about the limit of my mechanical skills normally.

Anyway, just thought I’d join up and say hello.

Cheers all,

Phil

PS currently on a slip in Seattle - if it weren’t for Covid, I’d be badgering some of you local builders for a visit and a look-see! :D
non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Sling TSi builder sometime in 2021

Post by PhilipRueker »

Welcome to the group :)

When Covid goes away and you happen to stop by in Seattle again, then feel free to badger away for a visit :)
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
The Dreamer

Post by The Dreamer »

PhilipRueker wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:28 am Welcome to the group :)

When Covid goes away and you happen to stop by in Seattle again, then feel free to badger away for a visit :)
That’s very kind. I’ll be sure to do just that! :D
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Welcome!!

Building a Tsi in the middle of nowhere (Cedar City, UT) so it can be done. It has been the most rewarding/frustrating experiences I have every done. Would do it again! My blog (on EAA) is not as good as other builders but feel free to message me anytime. You'll find other builders are more than generous with help and suggestions.

Good on you about the 787, Every time I think I can hold it it just slips out of my reach.

Matt
The Dreamer

Post by The Dreamer »

Hey Matt,

I've been following your build too - though only just caught up today - you've made a lot of progress in the last few weeks. That inflatable spray booth has given me an idea too, as I'll most likely paint the aircraft myself - how hard can it be?! :roll: :D I've been watching YouTube vids on painting Chameleon paints, usually done over a dark base, but a few will work over a light/white base - as usual, I'm getting way ahead of myself!

Would it be easier to to run a few guy wires to the ceiling of your workshop, instead of building a frame within it for blower failure? Just a thought.

As far as the 78 goes - yes, very happy to be on it - probably as secure a fleet to be on as you can get in these strange times - I count myself very lucky; which, as we know, where you end up in an airline is 90% luck, and only 10% talent - good job too, or I'd have been shown the door many moons ago! :D

What are you currently on?

Phil
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Thought about the guy wires but there is no support in the middle. I am thinking about building a combo structure inside that will both hold the pieces/parts for painting and not allow total collapse when the blowers aren't going. It should not take too much to put together. The nice thing is I can deflate and take the whole down to free up the space. Hanger neighbors are already coming by to see if it might be available in the future!

Alumaprep/alodine the control surfaces is next on the agenda. Then some spray practice.

On 737-800/MAX at AA (I call it grandpas' pickup truck) nothing sexy about it. I have taken sort term leaves to mitigate furloughs of junior pilots so I am trying to put my home time to good use.