SlingTSI in Walnut Creek, CA

Come and introduce yourself here.
Edward_H

SlingTSI in Walnut Creek, CA

Post by Edward_H »

Hello all,

I have a Sling TSI empennage that is either in the port of Los Angeles or will be there in the next few days. Then a week or so waiting to get unloaded, another week or so to move up the state to Walnut Creek (in the East Bay Area of San Francisco) where I am, and then I can get started and see if aircraft building is for me.

I have a pilot's license and about 160 hours of PIC time and am currently flying a Cherokee 180. I wanted to get a 4 place aircraft for going on vacation in and I wanted to be able to fly IFR at some point. I'm also flying from time to time for Pilots and Paws, and that takes some cargo space.

Taking a look at the cost to update my Cherokee with the original steam gauges to something I would be comfortable flying IFR, I realize that there is a huge cost in retrofitting, a huge cost in certified (vs. experimental) avionics, and a huge cost in getting an A&P to do the work or sign off the work I do. Then I ended up at a job with someone who built their own Lindy-winning Velocity and he convinced me to just build a plane of my own. Much to his disappointment, I opted for a metal plane rather than a composite. I looked at the RV-10 and then saw the Sling TSi. I went down to Torrance and flew in 135WT and I was pretty much hooked (though I have to say Mike Ojo's earlier videos and all of Evan Bruyne's videos were a huge influence, too).

I plan to build in my garage as long as I can and keeping my Cherokee in the hangar at Concord airport. I will be using the EAA Builder's blog, unless I come across some reason not to in which case I will change.

Looking forward to getting lots of help when needed, supplying help where I can, and getting warnings about things to watch out for BEFORE I run into them instead of after!
----
Edward - N751EH
Edwardhefter@gmail.com - personal stuff
Edward@AirplaneFactory.com - Official Airplane Factory stuff
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: SlingTSI in Walnut Creek, CA

Post by PhilipRueker »

Welcome to the group.

I look forward to seeing your progress in the coming months :)

The EAA Build log is a good solution if you don't want to deal with hosting a log yourself, I have listed the couple of options on the builders page here - https://www.slingpilots.com/builders/
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ibgarrett

Re: SlingTSI in Walnut Creek, CA

Post by ibgarrett »

Welcome Edward! Love to see the family grow...

I'm waiting outside for the truck to arrive now... Should only been two or three more months....
Brian Garrett