New guy

Come and introduce yourself here.
Mrmaint

New guy

Post by Mrmaint »

I haven't introduced myself yet. I came across a youtube video (mojogrip) about his sling. I am currently looking into the actual cost to build a tsi. I am also looking into exactly what license I will need to fly it and weather I even qualify. Am enthusiastic about following the information the board can provide and assist in anyway I can.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: New guy

Post by PhilipRueker »

Welcome.

For the TSi you would need a private pilot certificate to fly it in the US.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi New Guy... The actual cost to build the SlingTsi will vary greatly depending up on what type of build you do and what you put in it. If you're doing very little of the work and having someone assist in the build (the builders assist is what Mojogrip did) will probably run you in the northern part of the $300k range. You "might" be able to get that number below $200k if you did everything yourself and didn't get all the top of the line instrumentation yourself.

IMHO if you're not a private pilot yet (assuming you're in the states - your profile seemed to indicate you were in Wisconsin) I strongly recommend getting your PPL first, fly for a while before you build. If you try building and learning to fly, you won't get either done in any timely fashion. Additionally both PPL and airplane building is a pricey process and you have to plan on overruns in costs.

Not to say don't do it - just do one thing at a time. Who knows, you may find that once you have your PPL you prefer flying tailwheel and STOL airplanes. :)
Brian Garrett
Mrmaint

Post by Mrmaint »

I do plan on doing the build myself. I am in the process of seeing which school in the area I want to use. I may not even start school till after the spring semester. I am going for automation (robots and programable logic controllers). I needed to do that first as staying up to date for the job or get left behind with less pay and fewer options for the future.
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I'm doing a slow-build myself, TSi with an IFR panel, no parachute. My spreadsheet says it's going to be $188,000 assuming $15,000 in paint, which may be a little low. I'm planning on doing everything else myself, so that's basically all parts.
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
Mrmaint

Post by Mrmaint »

I had heard (probably youtube) that the slings really aren't made to have a parachute but was added later due to demand. Something along the lines about fore and aft weight and how the weight of the parachute throws that off. How is that different than just using that weight in luggage ?
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

To the best of my knowledge they always have had a parachute, so I'm not sure about the added due to demand part. When I looked at the brand-new Tsi back in 2018 it came with it as an option.
Brian Garrett