Sling TSi Builder In Dallas-Fort Worth Area

Come and introduce yourself here.
AaronG

Sling TSi Builder In Dallas-Fort Worth Area

Post by AaronG »

I live in Flower Mound in the Dallas-Fort Worth TX area. I am a low time pilot with private pilot license from 1987. Life happened and 30+ years later with three great kids now out of the house on their way to adulthood it is time to re-engage with aviation. The last few years have been spent evaluating experimental aircraft, build vs buy, and if build what model. Lots of research, several trips to airshows and build assist centers it came down to the Sling TSi based on mission, time available to build, and the perceived “features” of the TSi (metal aircraft, pulled rivets, 4 seats, 915 iS, direct nose steering, viability of TAF, parachute for the wife so she will go with, push-pull rods, etc, etc.). One of the steps in the evaluation was my wife and I going out to Torrance for a demo ride this past spring. A public thanks to the hospitality of Barry, Jean and Wayne for the ride in his plane.

The last few months have been on garage prep to organize and climate control (blown insulation in garage attic, insulated garage doors, mini-split AC unit), its Texas. Tools collection and watching others’ blogs have been more recent activities. I do not have a blog but am documenting the build for DAR purposes via the newly released EAA builders log tool (free at https://eaabuilderslog.org/).

The plan at this moment is a sub-kit by sub-kit build. The empennage arrived last week and has been unpacked and organized. Waiting for the dimple dies from TAF now to get started.

The dream plan is to get this thing built and use as magic carpet ride for us to go see some things in the second half of life. Thanks to those who are sharing via blogs and I look forward to this forum being another resource.
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Sling TSi Builder In Dallas-Fort Worth Area

Post by PhilipRueker »

Awesome and welcome.
AaronG wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 pm The plan at this moment is a sub-kit by sub-kit build. The empennage arrived last week and has been unpacked and organized. Waiting for the dimple dies from TAF now to get started.
One small heads-up if you're getting the sub-kits individually, sometimes some parts are not actually in the sub-kit you expect them too, particularly some of the bolts for the Ailerons and Flaps for example are in the Finishing kit.
So just something to be aware if you can't find some bolts and you don't yet have the Finishing kit.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Hi Aaron, does TAF supply dimple dies with the empennage kit or is it a separate purchase from TAF?
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

Oxley wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:19 am Hi Aaron, does TAF supply dimple dies with the empennage kit or is it a separate purchase from TAF?
My dimple dies were included in my empennage kit
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

The dimple dies are included in the empennage kit normally, they are not a separate purchase or order. They just happened to be missing from my kit so they shipped them on over. It was a good introduction for me on how to use their online parts ordering system, I have them now and am working away.
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Thanks vey much for the reply Aaron. Very helpful. How far along are you on the build? A good friend ordered his TSi a week back and I'll be assisting with the build. The kit won't arrive stateside until mid February so we're setting up shop now with the necessary tables, tools, and other materials. Looking forward to getting started. I'm here in Greenville, TX so we're not that far apart.

Phillip has been very helpful at answering questions as well.
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

I sent you a private message on this platform, send me a note back and we can exchange contact info as a fellow Texan. I am just getting started, shop is set up, got dies last Friday, should have the HS done next week. Phillip has been a great help to me as well.
huzilulu

Post by huzilulu »

I am waiting for delivery of my TSi Emp kit, and will be slowing building in Cypress TX (NW Houston)... Id love to meet yall and discuss notes if we can work something out!

Also - what is the online parts ordering system? Do we need access to it if we order the subkits directly from CA?

Thanks
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

huzilulu wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:39 pm Also - what is the online parts ordering system? Do we need access to it if we order the subkits directly from CA?
Perry or Jean from TAF in Torrance will set you up with the online system once you'll get your kit. Basically you can enter any parts that are missing and then they'll ship them out to you.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Brad

Post by Brad »

PhilipRueker wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:03 pm
Perry or Jean from TAF in Torrance will set you up with the online system once you'll get your kit. Basically you can enter any parts that are missing and then they'll ship them out to you.
Can I get a contact for Perry or Jean?

I wasn't aware of this online ordering system either.