Thinking about it

Come and introduce yourself here.
Skepilot

Thinking about it

Post by Skepilot »

I am probably the person for whom owning an airplane makes the least sense in the world. I’m an A320 captain for a major airline, so I get plenty of “stick time” at work. I live 20 minutes from the largest hub airport in the world, from which my family and I can fly non-stop to hundreds of destinations around the world, for free (if there are open seats).

And yet, lately have been getting the bug to buy my own airplane. 🤷‍♂️ I have been renting a Cirrus SR22 for some family trips. Thought about buying a used G1 or G2 SR22, then I learned about the Sling TSi

So, I picked up a work trip with an LAX layover, rented a car and drove down to Torrence. Met Barry, Jean and Wayne. Flew the TSi with Jean. It’s not as roomy as an SR22, but it’s probably all the airplane I really need for my family of 3. The baggage area is very small, especially when equipped with the chute (which my wife requires :D ). But, it’s a very fun plane to fly, and has unbeatable efficiency.

So, if I buy a plane, it’ll probably be an early SR22 or a Sling TSi. I don’t have time to build right now, so if I go with the Sling, I’ll do build assist. The Sling will undoubtedly be cheaper to operate than the Cirrus, but with the build assist, the Sling will cost about $100k more.

So, I have some decisions to make! :D

Regards,
Skepilot
The Skeptical Pilot
Last edited by Skepilot on Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Thinking about it

Post by PhilipRueker »

Welcome to the family of Sling interested people :)

I know of a few airline pilots around that are either already building on a Sling, or thinking about it, so you'll feel right at home :)
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos