Sling High Wing 2024

Come and introduce yourself here.
toramo

Sling High Wing 2024

Post by toramo »

Greetings All. 56-year-old, relatively new aviator reporting in from Northern Virginia. Put a deposit down on a High Wing today and look forward to kit delivery late next year/early 2024. Will be doing a build-assist through Midwest Sky Sports.

I got my private pilot-glider rating three years ago and continue to fly with my local glider club. I start instruction for transition to power in August. This long waiting game gives me time to get my rating and build hours.

Look forward to learning from the forum and meeting, virtually, others from the Sling community.
ibgarrett

Re: Sling High Wing 2024

Post by ibgarrett »

Welcome to the group! Wow - 2024 is the delivery... that's pretty wild. But you're going to have a super nice plane there for sure.

Brian
Brian Garrett
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Congratulations! I did a build assist with Henry for my low wing Tsi back in 2020. Class acts and great people to work with!
11B_Johnny

Post by 11B_Johnny »

Welcome!
I am thinking of getting a glider rating in the next couple years. It seems like it would be an absolute blast! I can only imagine that adding the option of a go-around would make the transition to powered flight pretty appealing and easy?
toramo

Post by toramo »

Yea, it’ll be a new experience to have the go around option!

I’m hearing kit delivery in 18-24 months and 3-6 month build time based mostly on my availability. So 2024.

I will always be soaring; by the way. It’s my first aviation love. Flying pure and simple. Flight of the day last Sunday, from one of our more skilled and experienced club pilots; was over 4 hrs. He managed to periodically engage some wave, going up to 10000 ft. So cool.

I have a GA mission set, both personal and business, that gives me the opportunity to really fly my Sling HW in theory. Most importantly I have the flexibility at this stage of life/career to *not fly*. E.g. turn around, land and wait, leave it on the tie downs or in the hangar and fly commercial. Still, when conditions are right (and stay right) I should have some great flying opportunities. And the HW just seems perfect for my needs.
11B_Johnny

Post by 11B_Johnny »

I'm hoping to be done building within 2 years of delivery! (If I can convince myself to give up some weekends skydiving to make progress!)

I've gone up once while skydiving on a really hot day while on downwind over a large taxiway with a really light student, gaining altitude without an engine was a unique experience.