Sling TSi - Near Tampa, FL, USA

Come and introduce yourself here.
Joe Azzarelli

Sling TSi - Near Tampa, FL, USA

Post by Joe Azzarelli »

Hello all you swingers - I mean slingers!

Like many I have thought about building an airplane for awhile. Being a macho guy I decided I will build whatever the heck I want! ...as long as my wife gives me permission. All 2 place planes were immediately out because well I mean - where are we going to put the dog?? Eventually the only way I could get her to agree was the parachute.

Thanks to an announcement by Evan in one of his videos I was able to purchase the entire kit and caboodle from a very nice woman who made other plans. Everything arrived in mid-July and after a couple weeks of organizing a make-shift shop and doing the entire inventory we started the journey. Wifey quickly got the hang of the cleaning and de-burring. Removing the plastic on the skins is hard on her nails so that is my job.

Me? Why thanks for asking! I did most of my flying BC (before children). Private, multi-engine, instrument, and commercial rotorcraft ratings. Private schools and university sucked up the flying budget. Plus most of my flying was for business not pleasure.

I was not interested in quick build or build assist. There is great joy in the build process and I like it all. Including solving the unique challenges. Cussing doesn't help but it does attend from time to time.

Anyway, empennage is almost complete and wings are on deck. Not going to do a YouTube channel but will put tips in a blog. Maybe. I am busy riveting so don't hold me to it...

Joe
ibgarrett

Re: Sling TSi - Near Tampa, FL, USA

Post by ibgarrett »

Welcome to the group Joe. I share your pain on trying to keep the verbiage correct as I flew a StingSport (Or "Sting") for a number of years, so we often started the statement with "Sting...er... Sling". But I know - old habits die hard when you're used to being a swinger. ;)

I'm about 13 months into a full build (not quick or build assist). It's amazing how fast things seem to grind to a crawl when the process gets more complex. I'm now at a stage where all but the interior is here on-site with me and staring at me in the face waiting to be put together.

Have fun with the build! :D

Brian
Brian Garrett
Heftiger

Post by Heftiger »

Hi Joe! Welcome!
Evan and I talked about that kit for a while before we decided to pass on it. Glad it went to somebody who’s going to contribute to the community!

Out of curiosity, what size fuel tanks does the kit have? There was some question about which version of the wing the kit had and that played a huge part in our decision to pass.
Joe Azzarelli

Post by Joe Azzarelli »

Heftiger wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:51 pm Hi Joe! Welcome!
Evan and I talked about that kit for a while before we decided to pass on it. Glad it went to somebody who’s going to contribute to the community!

Out of curiosity, what size fuel tanks does the kit have? There was some question about which version of the wing the kit had and that played a huge part in our decision to pass.
It has the 198L Standard tanks. No long range tanks.

There are some strange aspects to the kit but I am sure we will get it sorted. Was suppose to have the rudder pedal brake upgrade but did not come with it. Also the external alternator is missing. Other little things.

Anyway, just happy to be living the dream!
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

Hi Joe! Welcome! I'm building (slowly) in Cocoa, so rather close, and I'm in Tampa every few weeks for work, so would love to connect if you want to! I hope you weathered the storm ok, and look forward to meeting you!
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
Joe Azzarelli

Post by Joe Azzarelli »

Cyrus wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:58 pm Hi Joe! Welcome! I'm building (slowly) in Cocoa, so rather close, and I'm in Tampa every few weeks for work, so would love to connect if you want to! I hope you weathered the storm ok, and look forward to meeting you!
We will definitely get together. I am actually in Lecanto, in Citrus County. I would like to get your way to check out a launch so one way or another we can connect. email jrazzarelli@mac.com.