VP-X or not ...

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
gholford

VP-X or not ...

Post by gholford »

I am having a debate with myself on whether to instal a VP-X system, particularly in conjunction with the G3X. There are comments in other forums, both supporting and opposing, but none Sling specific. Has anyone researched / installed this and / or have strong views?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: VP-X or not ...

Post by PhilipRueker »

You will probably find almost as many opinions as you can find on priming the metal parts on the topic.

I do know that Evan Brunye has installed the VPX in his TSi and the factory in South Africa has also done a build with a VPX already, so there are some Slings with the VPX in-use/in-build.

As for myself, I am very likely going to use the VPX, I checked it out at our local aviation conference and have had many back and forths over the past year, but heavily leaning towards using it. Yes it makes you more dependent on another chip (technically two since they have two chips in it for redundancy), but also you can complete visibility directly in the panel, so you'll be informed immediately if something fails without having to spot a breaker popping.

One Sling specific consideration is that the panel in the Sling isn't very big, so not having to put in all the circuit breakers, particularly if you're going to install dual G3X means you'll have a much cleaner looking panel.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

I seem to recall . . . there is an issue with the electric flap circuitry, regarding VPX and the flaps.
According to Adam, at Midwest Panel Builders.
Perhaps someone could chime in with more detailed information.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

WmInce wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:55 pm I seem to recall . . . there is an issue with the electric flap circuitry, regarding VPX and the flaps.
Not an issue, but a feature of the VP-X that won't be used.

The VP-X, aside from replacing your circuit breakers, also has some features to control Trim and Flaps.
But in our case of building the full Garmin panel, those features are not needed, because the GAD 27 already controls the Flaps and Trim, so basically it's already controlled so no need to use the VP-X feature for it.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

PhilipRueker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:30 am
WmInce wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:55 pm I seem to recall . . . there is an issue with the electric flap circuitry, regarding VPX and the flaps.
Not an issue, but a feature of the VP-X that won't be used.

The VP-X, aside from replacing your circuit breakers, also has some features to control Trim and Flaps.
But in our case of building the full Garmin panel, those features are not needed, because the GAD 27 already controls the Flaps and Trim, so basically it's already controlled so no need to use the VP-X feature for it.
Okay . . . thanks Phil!
Just to clarify, does that mean there is built-in electrical protection for flaps and trim from GAD 27?
Is GAD 27 protected by VP-X?
Bill Ince
Clearwater, Florida
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

WmInce wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:42 am Okay . . . thanks Phil!
Just to clarify, does that mean there is built-in electrical protection for flaps and trim from GAD 27?
Is GAD 27 protected by VP-X?
Yes, correct, it provides the electrical position control and runaway protection for the flaps and trim and also interconnects with the Garmin Autopilot Servos, so the Autopilot automatically adjusts trim as it pitches.

High level summary of the GAD 27:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/521821

You can find more details in the G3X installation manual: https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01115-01_am.pdf

And yes, the power to the GAD 27 will still be provided by the VP-X as a circuit breaker, but basically instead of wiring the flaps directly to the VP-X to control, they will go to the GAD 27 to control.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Thank you for that prompt response!
Bill Ince
Clearwater, Florida
gholford

Post by gholford »

Thanks Phil and Bill. Useful discussion and information. My sense is more for, than against.