The Best Panel Switches?

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
StingerEquip

The Best Panel Switches?

Post by StingerEquip »

What are the best panel switches you have found and where did you get them? Rocket switch, key switches, momentary switches (goaround).
ibgarrett

Re: The Best Panel Switches?

Post by ibgarrett »

I would imagine some of this is subjective, but I'm definitely interested in this topic as well. :)
Brian Garrett
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

I've been hoping to find something nicer than plain old toggles. I really like these: https://www.aerosportproducts.com/produ ... -switches/, which are popular in RV-10s. But I'm afraid they're too big to fit in a Sling panel under a 10.6" G3X Touch screen. I've been looking for other options online, but at this point I may end up just using plain old toggles. :roll:
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

Have you confirmed whether Aerosport switches fit the sling panel? Also, are they dimmable? I wonder if they become too bright in a dark cockpit.
Saving pennies while spending thousands
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Ugh - no. I got lazy and just rolled with the switches that Midwest provided. The ones they use are pretty nice. But I also went with the VPX - so I've only got around a dozen switches total on the panel.
Brian Garrett
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

I know that you are not lazy. I've been watching your videos for guidance and emotional support, especially when I mess things up :)

Now that you have a better idea, do you think the aerosport switches would fit the panel?
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Maybe the correct word is distracted? ;)

I looked at the page for the Aerosport switches and the unit of measurements isn't shown, so I'm guessing they are using the metric sizes. The drawing they provide should be 1.340 inches or 34.03 mm. I measured the base/fattest part of my rocker switches and they are around 1.8cm/18mm/0.70 inches - so almost half the width.

I have 13 switches across the base of the panel - and that's all it could handle. I am using the VPX which eliminates a bunch of the switches/circuit breakers from the panel. That would make more room for more switches - and I have no switches on the right hand single of the panel. But basically these switches would take up twice the room on the ones I currently am using.
Brian Garrett
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

Very helpful. I actually thought the issue would be fitting the switches vertically instead of horizontally. I will also use the Advanced Control Module (similar to VPX) and rely on a single screen, so it seems this might work as long as I use the co-pilot's panel section.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Are you building your panel or having someone do it for you?
Brian Garrett
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

I will have Advanced Flight Systems do it for me and will rely on the Advanced Control Module (similar to VPX) and the AF-6600 display