Amp Draw? Enough Juice For Oxygen Concentrator?

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
ckroeker

Amp Draw? Enough Juice For Oxygen Concentrator?

Post by ckroeker »

I know the amp draw will come down to the panel, lights, etc., but for planning purposes on my Sling TSI build with the popular dual G3X IFR panel, VP-X, LED lights, etc., would there realistically be enough amps available to run an Inogen G5 Aviator oxygen concentrator, which needs 6 amps on a 12V system?
ibgarrett

Re: Amp Draw? Enough Juice For Oxygen Concentrator?

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm unfamiliar with this product (read their marketing material on the website). Is this something that works in place of the traditional O2 tanks?
Brian Garrett
ckroeker

Post by ckroeker »

Yes, the oxygen concentrator supplies supplemental oxygen in lieu of tanks. The nice thing is that you never run out or have to worry about filling tanks.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

That's very interesting, the only thing that it does have as a limitation is that it will only work below 18,000 feet, so you could use it with cannulas, but you couldn't mask up and go higher (which the TSi could).

Based on the Power consumption table they have here https://www.inogenaviator.com/products it draws a max of 62 Watts on the highest setting, so using the 14 volt bus of the airplane, that calculates out to 4.4 Amps, so a 5Amp line should be enough, so while it's not nothing, it's probably doable within the standard alternator setup.

Maybe give Adam/Steve at Midwest Panels a call, they can probably say if it's within the margin.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

From the website..

“Having essentially inexhaustible supply of O2 on board changes you're thinking. Flying at 10,000 feet, you don’t hesitate to use it. Cruising about 5000 feet at night? You won’t give O2 use a second thought.”

- Marc Cook, KITPLANES Magazine

I guess I need one for my truck at night since I live at 6000' :)

Seriously, The larger battery pack with 16 cells sure lasts a long time (3-10 hours). Is it worth the wiring? Dunno, depends on the mission.

Post what you find out.
StingerEquip

Post by StingerEquip »

What the amp output on the standard Rotax engines? What does the aux alternator add in additional capacity?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

StingerEquip wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:44 am What the amp output on the standard Rotax engines? What does the aux alternator add in additional capacity?
Per the Rotax 915 Installation manual - https://rotax-docs.secure.force.com/Doc ... sPdf=false
The second generator on the 915 is rated to a max of 420W at 14V, so that's 30 Amps, which is the one that supplies all the systems (Generator 1 is solely to keep the EMS running and if Generator 1 fails, it would command generator 2).

You could install an external alternator and it looks like it could produce up to 550W at 14V, so that would add another 39 Amps - https://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_inf ... ac-001.pdf
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I guess the overall question is where do you want your weight to be at? I'd have to look at the weight loading for each of the setups. On the O2 generator it looks like they are showing it as a two-person setup, which would work for me in most cases, but it would be nice to build it with a capacity of four. Obviously it would depend upon the rate of consumption as to how much it would support. Two people with a high flow might not be enough or equal to four people with even a low flow.

As with everything in life - it's about the balance. :)
Brian Garrett