Dynon and/or Advanced Panel

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
AlabamaSlingPilot

Dynon and/or Advanced Panel

Post by AlabamaSlingPilot »

Is anyone planning to install Dynon or their sister company Advance Flight Systems Avionics in their Sling? I asked at the Aircraft Factory in Torrance, and it was a short conversation, they only install Garmin. I am very interested in ordering a Advanced Flight Systems with the Advanced Control Module or ACM. The ACM is a wiring distribution panel, and it also replaces the VPX and SV-ARINC-429 Interface Module. It really looks like I can clean up a lot of the wiring that would be required for a Garmin setup. It also allows for easy future upgrades.

Has anyone looked into Dynon or Advanced Flight Systems? Is anyone confirmed using in one of these systems?
ibgarrett

Re: Dynon and/or Advanced Panel

Post by ibgarrett »

Who let you into the room? ;)

(kidding of course... I just had to tease...)
Brian Garrett
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I believe that Matthew Harris is planning on putting a Dynon system into his TSi.
Blog here: https://sling4tsibuilder.wordpress.com/
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

I am planning to install Dynon as well and ACM will be a key component of the system. I plan to rely heavily on the Advanced Flight Systems team to help me with the Avionics setup. I spoke with their team a couple of months ago and they indicated a 7-9 month lead time if I recall.

Happy to discuss this offline and exchange ideas.
Saving pennies while spending thousands
mjh3810@gmail.com

Post by mjh3810@gmail.com »

My AFS panel was just completed and I'm happy to share info. I went with the brand new AF6600 after a demo by the AFS team. For the IFR nav, I'm using the GNC355 and for backup I'm using an AV30. I did the AFS Advanced Panel system, which is a 95% plug and play panel. It's a lot like what third party places offer but direct through the manufacturer. When I did the math and compared that with doing everything myself, the cost difference was only about $1k, so definitely a good option. It's shipping this week and I'll post a review once I get it installed.
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

What is the cost of the panel assembly? Not the instruments, just the service AFS charges.

I plan to go with AFS 6600, Advanced Panel and AV30, too. Navigator will be Avidyne 440 because my home airport (KVNY) doesn't have GPS approaches, Avidyne integrates perfectly with the AFS and I am not a fan of Garmin's exclusive ecosystem.
I will get the magnetometer for the AV30 whereas I am also considering a second unit. I spoke with uAvionix and they plan to continuing adding new features, perhaps engine gauges.
Saving pennies while spending thousands
AlabamaSlingPilot

Matthew - eagerly awaiting an update. I do want to know why the Garmin com instead of the Dynon one.

Also, I have the same questions as Stingy Pilot.

- James
AlabamaSlingPilot

Stingy Pilot -

I wanted to discuss the Dynon Advanced panel you were considering. Which comms? How many panels? I assume you are going with the ACM? Do you have a quote? Are you getting the Auto pilot panel? Which Auto Pilot Servos? Are you getting ADS-B in?

Sorry, many questions.

James
bingdu

Post by bingdu »

Stingy Pilot
Any new update of your AFS panel? I am very interested in your setup with IDF 440 and 2 AV30!
Thanks.
Bing