GAP 26 mounting bracket

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
Cyrus

GAP 26 mounting bracket

Post by Cyrus »

I built a GAP-26 mounting bracket for my TSi. I wanted to both test my design/fab skills as well as test SendCutSend, a lasercutting shop that can handle aluminum.
First, mocking it up:

Second, drawing it out and printing on paper 1:1 to make sure it fits:

Third, sending it off to SendCutSend for cutting and waiting 5 days for delivery:

Forth, bending it. Badly.

Finally, cleaning, priming mating surfaces, putting some rivnuts in place, and then mounting it all together.

If you look closely, I have the rev 1 wing skins, so I'll need to cut my own access panel.

I've learned a few lessons about this, primarily that in the future, I'd stop the process at printing on paper 1:1, then transfer the design to aluminum stock myself instead of using a service. This is primarily because of the thickness of the materials. The thinnest aluminum they have is .040", which is super thick compared to what I'm used to working with on the plane. This could have safely been .016", but it's not available from any internet cutting service that I've found. This made it hard to bend without a brake (and I don't have access to one), and will be slightly heavier than it needs to be.

Overall, I'm generally happy with the way it came out. I'd love to hear what others have to say, or if you want the file or even a blank, I made a few extras I could send out.
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
ibgarrett

Re: GAP 26 mounting bracket

Post by ibgarrett »

That looks really good. I'm getting ready to start this portion of the wing process and like the position. Any chance that part is available for re-order? Or, I do have some scrap aluminum here from a damaged part that I could fashion it out of. It sounds like the mount doesn't have to be terribly heavy duty considering the bends and mount points.
Brian Garrett
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

no, it doesn't need to be heavy duty, it can be rather light. PM me your address and I'll send you one, or send me your email and I'll send you a template in either DXF or PDF.
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi Cyrus - I wasn't sure if you got my PM with my details for that template. :)
Brian Garrett