ELT Antenna location

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
ibgarrett

ELT Antenna location

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm working on getting my antenna's setup and somewhere along the way I have seen where some ELT antennas can be mounted in the aft portion of the fuselage inside the cowling to have just one less antenna mounted outside the aircraft. Midwest advises against this with good reason because if the rear fuselage separates from the center fuselage during an incident it would take the ELT with it where it would no longer have an antenna.

I get that part and understand the risks involved with deviating from it being near the ELT location. Regardless, I'd like to explore that option. I'm left scratching my head though because I am not seeing how I am able to mount the antenna where it would have access via the trim portions of the airplane but still mounted securely.

Has anyone seen/done this before?
Brian Garrett
Cyrus

Re: ELT Antenna location

Post by Cyrus »

See page 43 of DC-KIA-X-F-7.5 if you haven't already. There is an optional doubler plate available from the factory for a rear-mounted ELT antenna. I assume that this would have the same drawbacks as any other rear-mounted ELT antenna, and the further drawback of being external. So, I'm sure someone has put it farther back than normal.

The installation instructions just require 32 inches of clearance from other antennas.

That being said, I'm struggling with even putting the ELT antenna in the airframe itself, and not externally. Unless the fuselage breaks apart, an antenna inside the aluminum cage will be much less efficient than any externally mounted antenna. I plan on discussing this in length soon with some members of the community, as it seems 'ok' in the sling world to mount it internally, where one of my Tech Councilors was strongly against it.
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
ibgarrett

Re: ELT Antenna location

Post by ibgarrett »

Thanks Cyrus,

I spent some time chatting w/ Adam at Midwest Panels the other day about this and he suggested using the RAMI AV-401 ANTENNA - https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... -av401.php. It's certainly not an inexpensive option, but it's more streamlined and can be placed in/around/near the Com1 antenna as it's inactive unless the ELT goes off. As much as I hate tossing something else into the slipstream this seems like a better option than the whip antenna supplied which stands straight up (not a fan).

In some of my travels I've also heard it's good to have the DAR (in the USA) involved before you go with the final placement so they don't fail you on inspection.
Brian Garrett