Utility of second G3X?

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
jjdsyd

Utility of second G3X?

Post by jjdsyd »

Hi everyone. I am planning my panel layout for a full IFR TSi build. Like most people I am inclined to get a second G3X as an MFD. But, I really don’t like the idea of having it on the right in front at the co-pilot position. I’ll be the only pilot in this aircraft 99% of the time and I think having the screen that far away will limit is usefulness for map viewing etc. I would much prefer it next right next to the PFD with the GTN and G5 to the right. Similar to a Cirrus layout. My buddy has it this way in his RV10.

But, I cannot find a single example of this in a Sling. Has anyone thought about it. How do you guys find having the second screen on the right in practice? I understand the aesthetic appeal of a symmetrical panel, but, I’m not sure symmetry should be the goal in single pilot IFR?
ibgarrett

Re: Utility of second G3X?

Post by ibgarrett »

I'll take a swing at this, mind you I'm in mid-build and nearing the installation of the panel which was done by Midwest and is on-site with me in the standard 10" - center console - 10" arrangement.

I've flown the demo Sling in Torrence and a friends here in Colorado, so I have "some" time in them but nothing I'd hang my hat on. Obviously the Sling in Torrence is the 10" - center console - 10" arrangement and the Sling here has a 10" - center console - iPad config.

I think the real issue would be by moving the two 10" panels close together and the rest of the avionics to the side might put the G5/prop and 650 quite far away - and you're reaching for at least the prop control and the 650 quite a bit. That's definitely a lot of reaching across into your passenger side so you can have the two 10" screens side by side full time.

It's much easier to config the far 10" screen the way you want it and look at it when you need it vs. the extra reach all the time... well, more than you would be on the MFD.

The beautiful part is it's YOUR plane and if there isn't any design/build reason to not do it the way you want it then I'd say go for it. I'd probably check with the guys at Midwest to see if there is any technical reason why it's a problem - and if isn't, then go for it. :)
Brian Garrett
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

My previous plane had the G3X units side by side. Loved it. My Tsi has the conventional G3X over each seat.

Although I miss the closeness, I do need the GNX375 and prop controls close by, and that was not possible with the G3X screens side by side.

I normally set the mfd to traffic and moving map, and leave it.
jjdsyd

Post by jjdsyd »

Thanks guys these are helpful responses and I have had similar thoughts. But, if I am going to break the mold, why not:

- Move the fuel tank selector further down the centre console where it typically is in other GA aircraft. Then move the park brake selector to the side wall of the centre console to make room for it
- move the prop control down where the fuel tank selector was. So, near the throttle lever and a natural flow from where pitch control typically is
- have a 750 to the right of the second G3X - still within easy reach.

I haven’t started yet and have no idea how hard this would be (!) but, it seems to me that the fuel and prop selectors are taking up some valuable r/e on the panel, upper console.

See attached a pic of my mate’s RV which is part of my inspiration

Cheers

JD

https://imgur.com/FgPhBE9
Heftiger

Post by Heftiger »

Wouldn’t you want the 750 closer?
My understanding is that when you have an IFR navigator like the 750 you need to make flight plan changes in 750, not the G3X. Moving the 750 further away to get the second G3X closer seems counterintuitive if the 750 is going to be your main flight plan editor.
jjdsyd

Post by jjdsyd »

I don’t think so. The 750 would still be within easy reach, and once the plan is entered (on the ground from my iPad), not much need to interact with it until activating approach or amending en route. But, the MFD would have a map up that I’d be looking at throughout the flight. VFR sectionals for example much easier to read when nearby rather than over at co-pilot position… ?
jjdsyd

Panel layout design software

Post by jjdsyd »

Picking this up again... does any have a file they us in Solidworks or something else to design their panel layout that they care to share?