"Electrical kit"?

Steam Gauges, Glass Cockpit, IFR Navigators, VOR Antennas,etc.
lutorm

"Electrical kit"?

Post by lutorm »

So I'm looking at the dropbox manuals, and there is an "Electrical kit assembly instructions". However, I can't see an electrical kit quoted anywhere. I did see a quote for a "Full harness and instrument panel kit", but my impression was that this is the harness for the avionics so that's obviously going to be custom. Can someone set me straight here?
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
ibgarrett

Re: "Electrical kit"?

Post by ibgarrett »

Anytime you start dealing with the electrical side of the kit (at least in my experience) they point you to the avionics vendor who is doing your assembly. I don't know how many kits Midwest Panels is doing, but there is a strong dotted line from Sling to Midwest - and for good reason. They do a good job on the panels and wiring.

I think the Electrical Constructions Manual is there in case you want to do your own wiring setup and/or serves as a guideline for any other vendor who wants to build the panels for you. Not that it's a bad reference. I actually forgot it was there until I read your post and am revisiting it now as I'm pretty much in that phase of my build.

Oddly enough - Midwest supplied pretty much all of the necessary components for the electrical and none of it came from Sling (minus the landing lights).
Brian Garrett
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

Yeah this is the one place where I think the communication on what the kit contains could be a lot clearer. I'm probably going to do my own wiring and while some things are completely dependent on avionics it would be nice to know for example at least roughly how much wire is needed for non avionics stuff (basic power bus, engine, lights, flap and trim servos, etc.) At least it looks like the manual specifies the gauge for most of them, but I have no idea how much wire to order, like do I need on the order of hundreds or thousands of feet... ;-)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

My bet the amount of wiring you need to order is "lots". :)
Brian Garrett
STGove

Post by STGove »

> So I'm looking at the dropbox manuals, and there is an "Electrical kit assembly instructions". However, I can't see an electrical kit quoted anywhere. I did see a quote for a "Full harness and instrument panel kit", but my impression was that this is the harness for the avionics so that's obviously going to be custom. Can someone set me straight here?

Could someone please post the direct link (URL) to that above?
I can't seem to find it.
Respectfully,
Steve & Emily Gove
First time Sling TSi Builders - League City, Tx
N720S (Reserved)
YouTube = N720S
HAM W1WHO
Cell: 713.818.5800
eMail: SteveEmilyGove@gmail.com
Venit inferni, sive in excelsum aqua - TEXAS Strong!
STGove

Post by STGove »

Ah...

Please disregard last request.

I was looking on the SA site, but found them on the TAF Torrance site.
Respectfully,
Steve & Emily Gove
First time Sling TSi Builders - League City, Tx
N720S (Reserved)
YouTube = N720S
HAM W1WHO
Cell: 713.818.5800
eMail: SteveEmilyGove@gmail.com
Venit inferni, sive in excelsum aqua - TEXAS Strong!
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

I've purchased my empennage and wing wiring from Midwest Avionics and I couldn't be happier with the quality or service.
Everything is labelled very clearly and the lengths have been more than adequate.
I was going to make the wiring harnesses myself, but the time it takes to make up the harnesses adds up.
It's not extremely difficult, but it is time-consuming, and I'm not getting any younger.
This way I get it done correctly and quickly, and I move towards completion that much faster.
As I've been saying since I started the kit last April, "You can't start your second plane if you don't finish your first". :D
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

Yeah it'll take some time but we're building for recreation, right? I'd rather take the money and upgrade to a 916 instead! ;)
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

lutorm wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:59 am Yeah it'll take some time but we're building for recreation, right? I'd rather take the money and upgrade to a 916 instead! ;)
I'm looking at Edge Performance. After that Kitplanes article, I really like what they make.