Wing Tip Nav/Strobes?

Red or white beacon, Landing Lights, Navigation Lights, etc.
ebrunye

Wing Tip Nav/Strobes?

Post by ebrunye »

What are you guys using for your wing tip strobes? There seem to be a large range of options (of course only looking at LED!) and some seem to not be approved for night flight? Looking to get a quality set of lights that won't break the bank!
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Wing Tip Nav/Strobes?

Post by PhilipRueker »

I spent a lot of time looking at the lighting.

For the Wings I got the Aveo Ultra DayLite, which are the un-certified version of the Aveo Ultra Galactica.

They are the same light, one just comes with the certification piece of paper for a few hundred dollars extra.

As for "approval" - there is no formal approval per-se for lights (at least in the US) - as the builder you certify yourself that they comply with the regulatory requirements for lighting to be used for night or IFR flight and I believe that the above lights satisfy that.
You have to start in https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/91.205 and from there then, you end up in FAR 23, which technically applies to certified, but for lack of other reference, that's what you go for.

Based on this, I decided to use a white Posistrobe MiniMax as my Rudder light, but it seems some people have gone with red, in which case you would have to trust that the wingtip-tail light covers the entire back to comply as a tail-light.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
RichardHowell

Post by RichardHowell »

I opted for the Posistrobe Mini Max, as have others, mostly because of the size. It's small. It sits on top of the rudder, so I was concerned that white would show forward. Red, seems more like a traditional beacon, even though it's a strobe. My Warrior has that. I don't plan to use steady on red, as that may be confused with the red NAV light. I'll have a separate switch for the tail/beacon strobe.

On another note -- I ordered, what I thought was a Posistrobe Mini Max, but Aircraft Spruce sent me a Mini Max Ariel - a different Aveo part number than what Spruce has on their website. Beware of that. And -- they charged me about $100 more than what you might be able to get the Ariel from other suppliers - so be careful there. I complained and they just said the Ariel is the new replacement, but they neither acknowledged the misinformation on their site, nor did they say anything for wacking me about $70 over what is apparently a $399 MSRP light. I didn't make any more fuss. Life is short. The size is the same, so it's going to fit as the older model does. Turn the page on that.

For wingtips I'm just hoping that 3-in-1 lights are going to meet FAA regs and guidance. I can't really measure things without more data or an actual aircraft (Sling 2 for me). I'm not too worried there.

Some have complained that the Aveo's don't hold up to the elements very well and get discolored or even cloudy if exposed to sun and wet. That may be a reason to go with Whelen. They're reportedly better, but at a cost.
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

I had the same problem a month or two ago when I bought the mini max tail strobe. I got it and it was an Ariel as well. Same email to spruce, and same reply. Even the same decision to let it go!

Philip- I was looking at these as well. I can't really see the difference between the Ultra Daylite and the Powerburst Daylite for $300 price difference. I see the output wattage is different so the brightness is certainly less on the Powerburst, but figuring out which ones make the cut for the reg is hard to do. Both lights even have basically the same description on their website!

Powerburst link-
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... rburst.php
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Yes I've seen the Powerburst before too, but my consideration was that the Ultra DayLite are based on the Ultra Galactica, which they do have TSO certification for, so presumably that one does meet the qualification standards, while the Powerburst doesn't have a certified equivalent, so you're in more questionable waters.

As for the point that Richard mentioned about discoloration of the plastic - I've heard on the Vans forum that that used to be a problem with the older Aveo lights, but apparently they fixed that and it's no longer an issue with the newer ones.
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

Great info, thanks! At almost half the output power, I would assume they're about half as bright. Guess I'll have to opt for the Ultras!
ridekorn

Post by ridekorn »

Did you guys get the Daylight 3-1 or the 2-1? I was going to get the 3-1 and then the minimax for the beacon on the tail.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

ridekorn wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:28 am Did you guys get the Daylight 3-1 or the 2-1? I was going to get the 3-1 and then the minimax for the beacon on the tail.
3 in 1.
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

I love the 3-1 idea, that's definitely the route I will follow as well, probably AeroLEDs https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... xp-nsp.php

Does anyone know whether it is required to install an anti-collision/strobe light to the rudder if there are position/strobe lights on the wings?
Saving pennies while spending thousands
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Stingy Pilot wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:49 pm Does anyone know whether it is required to install an anti-collision/strobe light to the rudder if there are position/strobe lights on the wings?
If the 3 in 1 satisfies the degrees visibility as tail, then technically you don't need the light on the rudder, but a lot of people will still install it since there's already the place for it there (plus it can be helpful for you to make sure you don't forget to turn off the master since most people will always keep the beacon switch active).