Paint Booth Size

Join the endless discussion of what Primer to use.
Or tell us what your thoughts are about painting your airplane.
Craig_Macbeth

Paint Booth Size

Post by Craig_Macbeth »

I'm building a Sling TSi soon and I'm a bit restricted on my workshop space so looking to build a collapsible paint booth, the question is how big does it need to be?

Looking through the various blogs I see that some have also painted the main spar, but main spar aside what is the largest single piece that would need to be primed?

I guess the aft fuselage floor skin is pretty big, are any of the wing skins that big?
wiseguy59

Re: Paint Booth Size

Post by wiseguy59 »

I primed all of my Sling 2 skins outside, using sawhorses and 2x4s.
When it comes to the complete assemblies(wings, HS, VS, etc.) the size booth will depend on how many pieces you want to paint at once.
The wings are long and not too wide, but if you have them mounted on a roller fixture to turn them, that increases the width.
From my car painting experience, you want 3' clearance all of the way around, 4' would be perfect.
Don't forget lights. I had 10 4' twin-tube LED lights in my booth, and I could have used 2 more on each side down low.
Vic Syracuse mentioned in the last issue of Kitplanes that he had used the inflatable booth. I might send him an email and see what size and brand he chose. Being able to deflate it and roll it up is a huge plus. I had my booth up for 3 months, and it really eats up the space. I know it will cost more than my Amazon 'Wedding Tent' spray booth, but the easy setup, takedown, and storage are really attractive.