General purpose discussions.
hpmicrowave

Post by hpmicrowave »

3/17/21. 7 p.m. CDT. Sling Aircraft Kits. Mike Blyth

Mike Blyth from Sling Aircraft will cover the Sling series of amateur-built and light-sport aircraft, including their history of development, performance, flight characteristics, and flight testing for the new high-wing airplane available in both tricycle and taildragger versions
Cecil Jones
Building Sling TSi (Low Wing)
Built/Flying Vans RV8
FtWalton Beach FL/Baker FL 18FD
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Sign up for the Wednesday 17 March EAA Sling Webinar

Post by PhilipRueker »

Great reminder that this is happening next week.

I already signed up a few weeks ago and look forward to it :)
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

PhilipRueker wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:23 pm Great reminder that this is happening next week.

I already signed up a few weeks ago and look forward to it :)
I plan on asking Mike why a Rotax 915 couldn't be hung on the Sling 2.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
msejourne

Post by msejourne »

FYI, on the Lockwood Aviation Youtube videos "Rotax Aircraft engine familiarization seminar" (see links at bottom), the expert says that although replacing a 912 with a 915 IS may be possible, the required modifications may exceed the financing practicalities. Hopefully Mike will have better news for you.
The Lockwood videos are as follows:
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFfxHbaU_Bs
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztVeuzKdtjI&t=2712s

I'm also looking forward to tomorrow, which hopefully is the announcement of the release of Sling HW.

Cheers,

Mike

[/quote] I plan on asking Mike why a Rotax 915 couldn't be hung on the Sling 2. [/quote]
hpmicrowave

Post by hpmicrowave »

Not sure where but I was told if you put the 915 on the Sling 2 the extra power would allow you to easily exceed it’s design flight envelope. Worry is aerodynamic’s and flutter. So you (or your data recorder) would be able to provide feedback on just where the control flutter starts.

Of course you could just fly at normal speed and keep the 915 at a much reduced power setting. Since flutter is actually tied to True Airspeed flying around at 20k wouldn’t necessarily get you much faster but extended ranges would be possible. And you could easily get there with a 915. Also short field takeoff at 10k density altitude would be pretty easy.

But you could redesign the plane adding counterweights to the flight controls and maybe a bigger rudder to help negate flutter. Then some new flight testing would tell you just how well you did.

My thought’s
Interesting project

Cecil
Cecil Jones
Built/Flying Vans RV8
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

hpmicrowave wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:54 am Not sure where but I was told if you put the 915 on the Sling 2 the extra power would allow you to easily exceed it’s design flight envelope. Worry is aerodynamic’s and flutter. So you (or your data recorder) would be able to provide feedback on just where the control flutter starts.

Of course you could just fly at normal speed and keep the 915 at a much reduced power setting. Since flutter is actually tied to True Airspeed flying around at 20k wouldn’t necessarily get you much faster but extended ranges would be possible. And you could easily get there with a 915. Also short field takeoff at 10k density altitude would be pretty easy.

But you could redesign the plane adding counterweights to the flight controls and maybe a bigger rudder to help negate flutter. Then some new flight testing would tell you just how well you did.

My thought’s
Interesting project

Cecil
Thanks Cecil! :D
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I noticed your question was asked. Mike Blyth said you can put a 915 on the Sling 2, but the 914 would be a better match performance wise.

A good follow up I would want to ask is "Why don't you modify the Sling 2 to accommodate the 915 in the same manner you modified the Sling 4 to take advantage of the 915?
hpmicrowave

Post by hpmicrowave »

Answer I believe is it would be more of a new aircraft vs a modification, and for a company the question would be is their a market big enough for this néw plane to make it a cost effective development. But you could have a close to 200 MPH 2 seat aircraft with the right design and a 915 engine using 6 to 7 GPH!!

Cecil
Cecil Jones
Built/Flying Vans RV8
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

The recording of the Webinar was just posted for EAA members here in case you missed it live yesterday: https://www.eaa.org/videos/6241616501001
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I'm guessing the High wing will come with the 916 standard, as by the time the kits are available for sale, the 916 will be released as well.

Thoughts?