Task Based Flight Testing

General purpose discussions.
scout

Task Based Flight Testing

Post by scout »

Task Based Flight Testing, is here. What do we think of it ???

If you don't know. its an alternative that the FAA now offers, ( due to collaboration with EAA ) as an alternative to the standard 40/25 hour fly off hours approach that has been used forever as a method of completed phase one flight testing. In theory your flight testing phase one could be completed in less than 40/25 hours and with a higher quality.
So instead of just flying in circles for 40 hours doing nothing...
I believe this is how you do it.... If I am wrong, most likely am, please feel free to correct me, yell at me, call me stupid, whatever.

Requires no official approval long paperwork to do this process..
Follow a task based list of test that you develop according to 90-89c. ( standard flight testing stuff , does it handle correctly, V speeds, instruments correct)
Record notes on cards
Use the notes to develop a AOH/POH, really something you should have anyways.
Record in your airframe logbook,
"All flights must be in this geographical area: [The area must be described by radius, coordinates, navigational aids, and/or landmarks. The size of the area and airports must be that required to safely conduct the anticipated maneuvers and tests.] Unless operating in accordance with the task-based flight test program described in Advisory Circular (AC) 90-89, Amateur-Built Aircraft and Ultralight Flight Testing Handbook, chapter 2, section 1, during Phase I flight testing, this aircraft must be operated for at least _____ hours with at least_____ takeoffs and landings. "
And then when you done,
“I certify that all requirements of the task-based flight test plan have been completed in accordance with AC 90-89 and the aircraft is controllable
throughout its normal range of speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for operation. An AOH has been developed and placed in the aircraft. The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds VS0 ______, VX ______, and VY ______, and the weight ______ and CG location ______ at which they were obtained.”
Printed Name
Signature