Using Sling App

General purpose discussions.
huzilulu

Using Sling App

Post by huzilulu »

Hey Guys

I just downloaded the Sling App on my Ipad as I wait for my Emp kit to be delivered early next week … I have downloaded the TSi build manual on it, but cannot find the 'link' to inventory items/etc... Is there an inventory list for every kit on the app? Or is that still a Work in Progress? Besides the build manual, what else have you been using the app for?

Thanks
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Using Sling App

Post by PhilipRueker »

The inventory list comes with each kit in paper form for you to check things off from.

I don't think there's many people using the app currently.

Most of the time I tend to use the paper manual (either the one that comes with the kit, or if there's a newer one available on the online fileshare, then I sometimes print off the pages I need) - it's often easier to have the actual pieces of paper rather than a display in front of you where you need to zoom around.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

I use the app pretty often, but as Philip said it's much easier to use the paper manual because taking notes etc is easier. Not all my kits came with a paper manual though, so for my empennage and fuselage I had to use the app. There is no inventory option that I know of on the app, and the scan utility kind of sucks too. You scan the barcode on your part and it's supposed to show you where that part is located in the manual. But... It works about 10% of the time. Also, I don't know of any way to update the app revision. That would be a useful function in my opinion, as new revisions for the manuals are released to update or at least notify you and give the option for an update to the new revision.

All in all, it's a cool idea they have going with the app. Once it's fully developed and dialed in I think it will be an awesome resource and make the build process that much easier. As of today, I still prefer the paper manuals but maybe I'm just oldschool.
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I have also set up in the shop a spare large screen TV hooked up to my tablet with the diagrams. I can enlarge and zoom to specific areas.

Cartoons when I'm not in need of diagrams.
Custom Aircraft Builders

Post by Custom Aircraft Builders »

Does anyone know if the app is managed out of California or South Africa?

I saw a post on FB that the TSi wing manual was updated Aug 2020 in Dropbox but it is still the older version on the app. Does the app update automatically if they do change it or do I need to download a new file?

I hope they keep the app up to date. I am not an Apple guy, but I bought my whole staff iPads so we would all have easy access to the latest build manual.

#Slingsupport

This is my first time using #slingsupport. Let's see if it works. :D
Doug Goodrich
Custom Aircraft Builders, Sling Dealer/Build Center
607-821-2982, Doug@GoodrichAviation.com
Binghamton, New York (KBGM)
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

Hi Doug

We are not managing the app from the Factory here in South Africa but we update Dropbox where the latest manuals can be found.
Unfortunately we were not able to release the manuals in August due to resources and delays caused by the lock down.

We are planning on releasing the updated TSI manuals by the end of 2020.

Please do not hesitate to send your build questions to technical@slingaircraft.com in the mean time.
Custom Aircraft Builders

Post by Custom Aircraft Builders »

Thanks for the prompt reply. I know we are all looking forward to the manual update.
Doug Goodrich
Custom Aircraft Builders, Sling Dealer/Build Center
607-821-2982, Doug@GoodrichAviation.com
Binghamton, New York (KBGM)
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Sling Technical Official wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:12 pm. . . . . We are not managing the app from the Factory here in South Africa but we update Dropbox where the latest manuals can be found. Unfortunately we were not able to release the manuals in August due to resources and delays caused by the lock down.

We are planning on releasing the updated TSI manuals by the end of 2020.
To the best of your knowledge, is the Sling 2 build manual going to remain unchanged?
Or will it be updated, like the new TSI manuals, with color depictions, more intuitive exploded views and graphics in general?

I think the current TSI manual is a lot better than the old Sling 2 manual.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

We are planning to update the Sling 2 manuals as soon as we complete the TSI ones.
They will be done in the same way with the colored explodes views and additional assembly information.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Sling Technical Official wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:03 pm We are planning to update the Sling 2 manuals as soon as we complete the TSI ones.
They will be done in the same way with the colored explodes views and additional assembly information.
That would be excellent.
Thank you for responding.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida