Weight of Parachute

General purpose discussions.
Fly-Fla

Weight of Parachute

Post by Fly-Fla »

Does anyone know the weight of the parachute systems for the Sling 2 and the TSI? I can’t seem to find that information.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Weight of Parachute

Post by PhilipRueker »

The TSi uses the Stratos 07 Magnum 901 parachute system.

Based on the specs it weighs 17.6kg, so about 40 pounds, plus the weight of the cables that mount to the frame.

I have a Weight and Balance from N135WT and it lists 44 pounds for the parachute and 14 pounds for the cables that mount to the frame, so you're looking at a total of about 60 pounds.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Fly-Fla

Post by Fly-Fla »

Thanks, that’s actually a bit more than I was expecting. I imagine the parachute system for the Sling 2 might be slightly less but in the general ballpark weight wise.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

According to the Sling LSA sample (which shares the frame with the 2) POH, it uses the Stratos 07 Magnum 601, so yes that one is a bit smaller and is listed at 12.4kg.

Not sure how much the cable weight is and I think the Parachute for the 2/LSA is in the front, so might be less cables.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I asked TAF the total estimated weight of the chute/chute frame/cables...etc... a little over 60 as mentioned. I chose not to install

I am using Li battery so my total weight savings should be the high side of 75 lbs. Significant on a low GW aircraft like the Tsi.

P.s. My home airport is 5621 msl so every once counts!