Tools to build

A place to ask general building questions and share your tips & tricks to make the next person's Sling building experience easier.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Tools to build

Post by PhilipRueker »

As one of the first few Sling TSi builders, I often get the question of what tools I'm using.

TAF has a general tool suggestion list in their Introduction manual, but it doesn't really specify if all those tools are really essential (and some like fluting pliers, are likely not unless you're going to fabricate your own curved pieces of sheet metal), or if you need all the tools for a quickbuild vs building from scratch.
For example the number of clecos will be a little bit dependent on whether you build everything from scratch or if you start with the quickbuild and thus may not need as many clecos.

So inspired by that ongoing discussion, I started to create a relatively comprehensive list of the tools that I'm actually using in the build of my Sling TSi so far.

Does anyone else have some other favorite tools they've added to their workshop they can share?
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ebrunye

Re: Tools to build

Post by ebrunye »

Since I mostly use all the same tools as you have on your list, the only extra recommendations I can add are these-

Hands down the best thing I have bought for my build is a Stanley Proset XT2 rivet gun. For those who have an air compressor, there is no comparison to this gun! It has a valve that sucks air through the nose into the mandrel container so every rivet that gets shot the mandrel is immediately sucked into the container. Without exaggeration, it doubles the speed I can shoot the rivets because you don't have to tilt the gun after each pull or wait for the mandrel to drop out. It also can work to hold the rivet in the tip if you have single rivets to place upside down etc. Another cool feature is the trigger is a button, unlike the other pneumatic riveters on the market with the long trigger pull, which gets in the way in tight spots. The nose is also much smaller, so I can get into tighter spots and use my tight spaces angle tool less. It's a little pricey, but I found mine open box, but new, on ebay for about $400. They seem to be readily available on ebay for around that price. https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening. ... proset-xt2

I showed a demonstration of the tool in this video, it starts at about 1:15.

The only other recommendation is if you are not using a quick build kit, get more clecos than what they recommend. Getting 30 or 40 extra clecos of the 1/8 and 5/32 sizes and maybe 10 extra of the 4.8mm gold ones would really help. Relative to the cost of the build, it's a pretty insignificant investment. Some parts you might end up wanting to leave cleco'd until later, and you slowly run low. One example is the factory suggests to leave the main spar carry through cleco'd to the fuselage skins until the wings have been fitted in case there is any slight adjustment to be made.
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

Thank you for this list of tools, this is exactly what I was looking for! I had pieced together some of them from your blog, but this one list is very helpful.

In my early build items collection I did come across one sourcing item that got me thinking. For the Loctite products, when searching on Amazon there is some variation when looking for Loctite 277. I called Henkel (owner of Loctite) and they claimed they don't sell their industrial product line through Amazon but rather thru distributors. Since 277 is industrial line they gave me this distributor website to find places to buy the Loctite products. Put "industrial" in the first dropdown and your zip in second - I went with Fastenal just due to my location but there are many distributors that consumers can buy through. The 277 50 ml bottle I received has part # 27731 and the "Henkel" name on the bottle. This may be one of those cases where Amazon versions have exactly the same ingredients, not sure but just mentioning in case others had the same question I did. (https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/ ... 633.page=1)
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

What have others used for their edge protection products (ex lighteninghole on HS for trim servo)? From blog pictures it looks like the white nylon product. Where did you source it from? Is this the MS21266 product? On Aircraft Spruce they seem to highlight the gator grommet edging (M22529/2 & SL/BAP series).
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

The factory supplies some of the white one in some of the assemblies.

I bought more directly from Amazon - one of the benefits of amateur built - you don't need to get everything certified from AircraftSpruce.
This was actually a tip from the HOMEBUILTHELP YouTube channel.

Here's what I bought, basically the same as the Factory: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JKEJDAE/re ... kEbBZHB45Z
And using the Amazing Goop to keep it in place based on my research from Vans forum and co - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQUI7S/re ... HHgLak5f4u
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

I second Philips response. That edge liner is great. Easy to install and very protective, smooth too so it makes pulling the wires through easy.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Since it came up recently, for filling the rivets, you want to use the Sherwin Williams Shrink Free Spackling based on some testing from Kitplanes Magazine.

Craig has done a pretty good writeup of using it on his Sling 4 build on his blog: https://craigsling4.blogspot.com/p/simp ... rivet.html
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

I'm having a heck of a time finding a used XT2. I've seen a few on ebay but they have looked pretty beat up. If anyone has other leads, please let me know.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

lutorm wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:31 pm I'm having a heck of a time finding a used XT2. I've seen a few on ebay but they have looked pretty beat up. If anyone has other leads, please let me know.
Have you looked into the cordless Milwaukee M12 rivet gun?
Even though I have an air compressor, I knew that it would only be a matter of time before a hose snagged something and pulled it off of the table, so I went cordless.
The thing is so easy to use, my wife has driven almost 1/2 of the rivets on my Sling 2.
The charge lasts a long time and it's pretty well balanced.
I bought mine off of Ebay without a charger, and picked a charger up from someone else. Not too pricey for both.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I've got the Milwaukee rivet gun and used it for the entire build (I'm almost out of rivets at this time!). My only complaint with the Milwaukee tool is the chamber that passes the mandrel out occasionally will get jammed with two or more rivets. When this happens it's quite a process to free up the chamber. The first time it happened it took me better part of an hour to resolve it. Now I'm a bit more careful to make sure things don't get jammed up.

I haven't been able to out-pull the battery. With one on the charger and one in the gun, the gun will run out and I swap the battery and I'm running out of rivets before the charge is depleted.
Brian Garrett