Loctite or Safety wire ?

A place to ask general building questions and share your tips & tricks to make the next person's Sling building experience easier.
scout

Loctite or Safety wire ?

Post by scout »

Is the locktite on moving parts sufficient ? I feel a little uneasy about just locktite on the elevator bolts. Why not safety wire or a crown bolt and cotter pin ???
scout

Re: Loctite or Safety wire ?

Post by scout »

Because I didn't get an answer on this... I realized some things in my own research on this topic.
First,,, I need to start spelling loctite correctly.
Second,,, the elevator bolts don't use loctite. It is apparently not a good idea to use loctite with nyloc nuts. Learned something new.

So that leads me to my most recent concern....

Are nyloc nuts sufficient to stop my elevator from falling off ? I think I would still prefer a castle nut and cotter pin.
PatrickC

Re: Loctite or Safety wire ?

Post by PatrickC »

While I have an engineering background, this is my first time building an airplane so I am being careful to only deviate from the instructions if I fully understand what I am doing (and then usually only after getting approval from the factory technical support group). The Sling team knows a lot more about this than I do and I am confident in their design choices.

The external moving parts are all attached with bearings and the instructions say to fully torque the bolts per the introduction manual. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I would expect that the bolts will be snug on the brackets. I think the lock nuts will do what they are supposed to.

I have been using torque marker on all nuts/bolts. This will make it easy to see if anything is starting to come loose during inspections. If you do this with the external attachment bolts you will be able to easily inspect them as part of your walk-around.