Dimpling

A place to ask general building questions and share your tips & tricks to make the next person's Sling building experience easier.
Oxley

Dimpling

Post by Oxley »

Curious to know from the Sling builders the preferred tool used in dimpling the skins and ribs. Are you using a rivet squeezer, dimpling/rivet tool (referred to as wack-a-mole), or the DRDT-2 Rivet Dimpler? Still trying to figure out the best way to get the job done.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Dimpling

Post by PhilipRueker »

For dimpling the skins you will need a C-Frame dimpler since you need to long reach.
Either the whack-a-mole or something more fancy like the DRDT-2.

Which one you chose is really a matter of price, since the DRDT is about twice that of the whack-a-mole type.

If it's just the ribs, then using the hand rivet sqeezer is fine.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Thanks for your reply Phillip. Judging from the number of dimples and their location I'll probably have to go with a C-Frame dimple.
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

I have the DRDT-2 dimple tool, and I can't recommend it enough. There are soooo many dimples to do if you're doing the standard kit I can't imagine having to hammer the thing every time I need a dimple.
Oxley

Post by Oxley »

Thanks very much for your comment on dimpling tools. I think the DRDT-2 is the gold standard of dimpling tools.
huzilulu

Post by huzilulu »

For a standard build, is the DRD2 enough? Or should I also get a hand squeezer/smaller tool for access to tight places like ribs?
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

I have had to order a smaller hand squeezer also for dimpling. I have the DRDT-2, but have found that some of the small ribs on the HS you can't get positioned for clearance correctly on the DRDT-2.
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

huzilulu wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm For a standard build, is the DRD2 enough? Or should I also get a hand squeezer/smaller tool for access to tight places like ribs?
As Aaron said, you won't be able to get the DRDT-2 into a few of the tighter bend locations. I just take the dimple dies out of my DRDT2 and place them through the hole to be dimpled, and squeeze them with channel locks. Seems to work fine for me. For some reason I try to avoid buying extra tools that arent used often, but to be honest you're probably better off just getting the extra tool. Just wanted to offer an alternative option that works for me.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

If you do want to buy a hand rivet squeezer (for solid rivets)/dimpler - this is the one I bought: https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=ATSRS-KIT
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos