Mods and After Market Options

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
escalantea

Mods and After Market Options

Post by escalantea »

Guys, I think we should add the above section.
Not many (or any) mods so far but I bet they will start soon!

AE
RV-12iS completed, looking to start a Sling TSi
AaronG

Re: Mods and After Market Options

Post by AaronG »

Here is a small mod to the plans for the VS VOR antenna installation. The goals were to forego cutting notches on the top of the skin/top rib and keep the rivet line buttoned up and a little cleaner. With a “T-shaped” nylon 6/6 spacer (cut from 2.5 inch diameter) it hangs the internal puck about 5/8 inches down from the support plate and exits the antenna elements through oval shaped holes drilled in the skin.

What made this possible was picking the RAMI AV-520 antenna. It has removable elements that screw into the puck that allow riveting of the skin first, then grommets, then screwing in the elements. I lost count on the number of times doing measurements as the angle of the elements and the oval holes need to be on target so the elements thread into the puck without stress.

Pictures and some details are at these three entries in my build log:
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... =empennage

Realizing the factory can’t “endorse” a mod, I did ask their opinion around any concerns of fatigue or cracking issues putting an oval hole in that skin location. They were helpful and responded that there should not be issues. Only after the bird flies for a while will it be confirmed I guess, caveat emptor on any mods.

In considering this, did research on several RAMI models and spoke with Paul from RAMI who was a great help. Some of my unofficial observations relative to the TSi specifically and the RAMI line are:

AV-520 – 1.875 hole separation, puck 2.5 diameter - fits the existing top rib and support plate holes. This model comes with removable elements. This model was used for my install.

AV-525 – 1.874 hole separation, puck 2.5 diameter - fits the existing top rib and support plate holes. This model comes with fixed elements.

AV-532 – Has 1.6 hole separation which does not fit the top rib or support plate holes. Could drill extra one or two holes in rib/support plate if desired for placement and hole alignment. This model comes with fixed elements.

AV-12 – The puck has 2.625 diameter which does not fit well within top rib and creates bulge in VS skin when attached. Perhaps could move further back in rib for extra width, but would require extra holes and ensuring rudder deflection clearance. Mounting holes on this model can be drilled at desired location outside of center. This model comes with fixed elements.
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
escalantea

Post by escalantea »

Is anyone adding or planning to add GoPro camera mounts and feed cables on different locations?
How about additional access/inspections hatches? How are you doing it? What locations?
Replacing the plastic lines with metal or braided lines?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

escalantea wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm Is anyone adding or planning to add GoPro camera mounts and feed cables on different locations?
How about additional access/inspections hatches? How are you doing it? What locations?
I'm contemplating putting the prerequisites for a mount on the wing on the joint of the wingtip with the main spar.
Basically would just need to replace one rivet with a nutplate that takes the right screw for the mount, so it's easy to remove when not needed.
This is the one I was looking at, basically I just need to install a 10-32 nutplate to mount it.

That way, even if I decide to never actually use it, it's easy to just close up by just putting a screw into the hole, but if I do want to use it, it's available and more solid than a suction cup would be.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I've been mulling over an external power port for a GPU. Prefab access panel from

http://experimentalaccessories.com/index.html#/
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

PhilipRueker wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:27 pm
escalantea wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:17 pm Is anyone adding or planning to add GoPro camera mounts and feed cables on different locations?
I'm contemplating putting the prerequisites for a mount on the wing on the joint of the wingtip with the main spar.
Basically would just need to replace one rivet with a nutplate that takes the right screw for the mount, so it's easy to remove when not needed.
This is the one I was looking at, basically I just need to install a 10-32 nutplate to mount it.

That way, even if I decide to never actually use it, it's easy to just close up by just putting a screw into the hole, but if I do want to use it, it's available and more solid than a suction cup would be.
I'm wanting to do this as well, but even with a step farther of having some power run to each mount location so the cameras can be supplied power throughout the flight. Most of the cameras these days have enough capacity to out record their battery (or at least last time I checked). I'm actually considering both top of wing and lower wing mounts and then getting some of the Garmin VIRBs (https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/562010) and then putting a mount in the center of the instrument canopy and then a fixed forward facing camera in the back of the cabin. My thinking is the editing software is good enough out there now that if I'm recording in a 360° fashion I can capture video in any angle and then edit it accordingly.

It might be crazy and way over thinking things, but I'd rather build to have the mounting points and power to those points vs. only having the mount. I haven't discussed the power situation with Midwest, but it in theory should work.
Brian Garrett
arjenv

Post by arjenv »

I think providing power to the outside cameras is a good idea, because as you say the battery does not last as long as the SD card can record.
What kind of plug would you use at the mounting point? It would have to be waterproof when no camera is plugged in.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

So my thinking was to put in a standard/single USB port next to the mount point and then use a 3D printer to print a plastic plug with a tiny cap over the top of it to backfill the hole when it's not in use. In theory, the plug would only sit to slightly above the surface with a little hump so the airflow disruption would be minimal.

Obviously I don't want to have either the mount or the USB outlet disrupt the airflow too much when I'm not using it.

If you have been out to Torrence recently, the demo Tsi has a wire strung out from someplace mid-wing and then taped to the wing to get the power to the mount point. That's not a good long-term solution. If I can have the USB power and mount point close together the most I'd need is a 3" to 4" power cable to go to the camera. :)
Brian Garrett
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Following back up on this thread. I ran across this product at Oshkosh this year (https://www.guardianavionics.com/Cable- ... p_147.html) and it seems like it will work well.

My idea is to mount one in the vertical stabilizer with a couple of rivnut mounts for the camera and one to secure the wire to the airframe. Up to two of the connectors can be managed by a single power supply. So in the rear of the airframe I'll likely put another USB adapter like this one plus a power supply in the rear.

Because I'm planning on using the VPX circuit breaker system I can soft manage each of the points around the airplane to activate power were I need to. I've also ordered some rubber plugs to insert into the connectors when they aren't active.
Brian Garrett
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Wrapping back around on this, BuildFlyGo did a video here the past couple of days covering how he did his exterior mounts. This is the company he is using the mount for https://flightflix.net and they have quite a few different mounting mechanisms which look really solid.

I'm thinking I'm going to go this route.

After I practiced a bit with the Guardian avionics USB-C connector I'm not sure I like it. The screw attachments are made of the same molded plastic that the mount is and I have concerns about it vibrating or working it's way off after the airplane is complete. I did run across this mount at https://tinyurl.com/b9bvptk5 which looks much more solid. The hole is a bit bigger at the size of an XLR connector, but a circle to drill out seems a lot easier to navigate than cutting a number of openings.
Brian Garrett