Dual Toe brakes vs Centre brake

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
arjenv

Dual Toe brakes vs Centre brake

Post by arjenv »

I am considering the Sling TSI and am wondering if anyone has gone for the extra Dual Toe brakes vs the standard Centre brake on the TSI. I am a newby pilot (180 hours) and have only ever flown Toe brakes. So I would be inclined to go for the extra option of Dual Toe brakes. Toe brakes seem to give you more control if you are taxing in strong crosswinds etc. Also your right hand is free to concentrate on the throttle.
Anyone else opted for the Toe brakes or are the centre brakes good enough? I am also thinking about potentially selling the plane (way) down the track and most pilots are comfortable with Toe brakes.
Cluemeister

Re: Dual Toe brakes vs Centre brake

Post by Cluemeister »

I've flown both toe and hand brake aircraft. I had no issue with either, and opted for the hand brake.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

If you can, you should try to do a test-flight in the plane with the center brake.

I had the same hesitation like you, but after I did a test flight, it was surprisingly easy to use the center brake, so I decided to go with the standard option of the center brake after that.

You can operate it at the same time as the throttle as they are right next to each other.
Plus, one benefit is that on landing you can't accidentally brake with just one side, and it makes the installation as the builder a lot simpler as well.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I flew an aircraft with a "bicycle" type squeeze brake on the stick. Once you get used to something its no big deal.

I chose the hand brake.
NickPilcher

Post by NickPilcher »

Can someone explain how to steer with just the centre brake? Is it just with rudder? What happens when there is no ground speed?
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

NickPilcher wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:58 am Can someone explain how to steer with just the centre brake? Is it just with rudder? What happens when there is no ground speed?
I was concerned about that as well, as my last plane had toe brakes and free castering nose wheel. Steering the Tsi with the hand brake is easy. The rudder pedals turn the steerable nose wheel. Add a little power, push the left or right pedal to the full extent, and the Tsi turns quickly and easily. Has been a total non issue.
NickPilcher

Post by NickPilcher »

Thanks, really appreciate that. I figured this would be the case but thought I'd better check. Sounds to me like the optional switch to differential brakes makes little sense.
msejourne

Post by msejourne »

Any inputs from anyone who have flown the Sling 4 or TSI and tried tight turns?

I have been questioning this for a while, for tight turns I am afraid that just rudder pedals linked to the nose wheel may not be sufficient for tight turns. I would think that free caster with diff brake might be better...
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Tight turns are very easy in the Tsi. My last plane had castering nose wheel, and I was concerned as well. Not an issue.
msejourne

Post by msejourne »

Thank you for the feedback!