TSi Air conditioning

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
sjheuser

TSi Air conditioning

Post by sjheuser »

Is/has anyone installed air-conditioning? What unit did you install?

I want to include it into my build, so I'm thinking of an electrical unit, which would require the kit option for an external alternator. Evidently the cowl will be different to include a bump out for the alternator. I don't plan to install the parachute and hope to fit the AC unit in that area.

Has anyone done this and have a picture or advice to share?
ibgarrett

Re: TSi Air conditioning

Post by ibgarrett »

The only guy that I'm aware of who has done A/C in their Sling is the guy at Three Blades on Youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWAemE ... hPEfs6XYzg.

When I was in Torrence I asked Jean about it and he only said they were working on trying to get the details from the owner on how he did it. Not sure that's much help, but I'm interested in finding out more as well.
Brian Garrett
ridekorn

Post by ridekorn »

I have been debating this as well, it would be nice to know more about it before I start on the fuselage
gordsh

Post by gordsh »

I have done a bit of research on adding air conditioning to the Sling TSi by contacting almost all the aftermarket aviation a/c installers and I will share my findings here.

I also communicated with Michael from Australia who is the only person that has an air conditioner installed in a Sling TSi.

Michael is willing to work with anyone who wants to do the same so you can reach out to him via his Instagram account here if you are interested.

https://www.instagram.com/3_blades/

So here is what I have found out so far:
  • It is very challenging to add an engine-driven compressor to a Rotax engine. As per my communication with Bill from Airflow Systems, this was his comment to me

"We have investigated installing AC on Rotax powered aircraft several times over the years and have always come to the same conclusion;
    you cannot install an engine-driven compressor without exceeding the Rotax published limits for maximum torque on the accessory drive and/or gearbox. Especially since the compressor stops and starts suddenly.

The only solution we see at the moment is an electrically driven compressor which limits your BTUs to half what a compact car AC has, which is better than nothing, perhaps.
    "
  • The best option that I can find for the Sling TSi to add an external alternator to the Sling TSi and opting for an air conditioner with an electrically driven compressor.
  • Incidentally, I did order an external alternator with my kit, and the cost for those who are interested at the time was an extra $2895. This includes the alternator, bracket pulley, alternator belt, and your cowling modified to clear the alternator. My reason for ordering the external alternator is that my avionics package will include a few extra things like a GARMIN GTS-800 TAS which add to my amperage load.
  • As we are all builders I wanted an electric unit that was somewhat DIY and the creme of the crop electric system based on a lot of research I have done is from a company called CruiseNComfort

- https://www.cruisencomfortusa.com/hd-series

I reached out to them and communicated with the owner and surprisingly he is already working with an LSA manufacturer who is in the process of certifying the VES unit and I quote;

"We have been supplying a company with a VES unit and a special high cfm stripped-down condenser. He is getting it certified I guess. Here is literature on the unit but instead of the black evaporator, he is using this stainless one. "

I estimate that this unit installed with all the tubing, connectors, and R134a refrigerant will have a weight of ~80 lbs, and not too sure about W+B effect as this will depend on where located.

My current DA40 is one that has the Cabin Cool A/C that was STCed by Premier Aircraft in Florida and it has the radiator and fan located in a scoop under the belly of the aircraft. I am thinking that this is similar to how I would have to do it on the Sling....if I decide on the A/C.
  • The CruiseNComfort 12 Volt VES unit draws 38 to 46 AMPS so this is very close if not exceeding the current output of the external Alternator.
Now with all of that, Michael in Australia is the only person that I could find who is happily flying a Rotax airplane with an engine-driven air-condition compressor. Also, I don't think it would be wise to run both an external alternator and an engine-driven compressor on the Rotax 915...I may be wrong but every one I talk to says it would be challenging.
Last edited by gordsh on Sat May 01, 2021 8:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sling TSi - Ontario, Canada
Custom Aircraft Builders

Post by Custom Aircraft Builders »

gordsh - Thanks for the post. I have reached out to Errol at Global Aviation Products, the Sling dealer in Australia who worked with Mike at 3-Blade on his TSi and the ac system. They are planning to kit the system. I believe it's belt-driven so you won't be able to have it and the external alternator. It weighs 20 kg (about 45 lbs).

Have you considered the Real AC system by Arctic Air? http://www.arcticaircooler.com/product- ... -1-12d.htm

It's basically the Cruise N Comfort system in one box. We put this unit in a Columbia 300 a year ago and it, along with Jet Shades (to keep the sun out), is able to keep the cabin cool and the owner and his wife are very satisfied with it. We installed it in the baggage compartment along with a duct that takes the hot air out of the tail cone. It comes with a rigid duct to blast air forward or it would be easy to create an overhead plenum in the ceiling between the cabin doors with eyeball vents for a more finished look. The controller for the Real AC shows about 43 amps when running. The nice thing too is that if you need the space or weight, it can be removed. I know you have to deal with a few months of winter like we do here in NY so it would be nice to take it out when you don't need it.

I am leaning towards the external alternator on my TSi so I am considering the Real AC.
Doug Goodrich
Custom Aircraft Builders, Sling Dealer/Build Center
607-821-2982, Doug@GoodrichAviation.com
Binghamton, New York (KBGM)
gordsh

Post by gordsh »

Hi Doug, the Arctic Air 12 volt model looks very good and comes in at only 42 lbs.

I think I will give it a good look.
Sling TSi - Ontario, Canada
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

I think the biggest problem with weight is, that as we know the TSi is a bit aft-heavy, so you'd have to look to mount it up front or else you'd make the aft-weight larger, thus moving the CG even further back, which may realistically limit the plane to being a (very comfortable) 2-seater.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos