Question about gas

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
ibgarrett

Re: Question about gas

Post by ibgarrett »

I think it should be noted that the shelf life of mogas with ethanol is about six months.

If you aren't flying the plane a few times in six months then there may be other issues as well.
Brian Garrett
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

ibgarrett wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:15 pm I think it should be noted that the shelf life of mogas with ethanol is about six months.
I've always read the shelf life of mogas without ethanol is about 6 months. With ethanol is 3 months. Just what I've read, I'm no expert.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Well, I'm referencing https://generalaviationnews.com/2011/01 ... ly-stored/

I'm planning on putting in teflon/aluminum fuel lines to try to eliminate as many of the rubber parts as possible. But I'm also planning on flying as often as I can (hopefully well executed intentions) so I'm not overly concerned about the ethanol. Now - of course that being said I am more concerned about how it performs at altitude. So that may ultimately be the deciding factor.
Brian Garrett
kkim1972

Post by kkim1972 »

If one intends to leave A/C not operational long time, one could drain the fuel out of the wing tank? Then, this fuel can go to car. This may be a protective strategy, although it is cumbersome.
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

ibgarrett wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:28 pm Well, I'm referencing https://generalaviationnews.com/2011/01 ... ly-stored/
Yeah, even that source implies 6 months is optimistic.
For the storage life of fuel with ethanol, there is no good answer. Under ideal conditions, it should last six months. But if there is any moisture, six months may be too long.
You’re in a drier climate than me, so maybe you can get away with 6 months. Where I’m based, there’s always substantial moisture.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Well, personally if the plane is going to sit longer than 3 months something is going wrong in my life... :)
Brian Garrett
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

ibgarrett wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:30 pm Well, personally if the plane is going to sit longer than 3 months something is going wrong in my life... :)
I hear that! I'm not overly concerned about it, but I seek out ethanol-free gas whenever possible.
SlingDriver

Post by SlingDriver »

Just watched an interesting video from Paul Bertorelli about AvGas. If what he is reporting is accurate it doesn't seem to be any hope for unleaded AvGas anytime soon, if ever.

Build process started.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

First of all - Paul is a national treasure...

Secondly - I agree. While all the alphabet orgs are making a lot of noise about "it's going to work this time" I am skeptical. If you go out and watch GAMI's presentation at Sun and Fun from this year ( it's pretty scathing as to the state of things. He's done an excellent job on documenting the work he's done and the FAA continually moving the goal posts to accomplish the 100UL.

As long as big oil can continue to make higher profits on the existing fuel and GA continues to pay for it there won't be a will to change. I have often thought that maybe big oil would ultimately give up on making the fuel forcing the change - but given the profit margins, I don't think this is going to happen.

Continental/Lycoming could help things along by saying "we are no longer going to make engines that require 100LL but instead work fully on 100UL (or whatever fuel you want to pick that isn't leaded) and provide a free (or nominal with the engine cost) STC for maybe 10 years. Any engine not replaced in that time probably isn't an airplane being flown anyway.
Brian Garrett
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

There are at least two other things that could force things along.

1.) EPA ruling that bans lead in any fuels by a given date.
2.) There's only one manufacturer of TEL remaining in the world. When they stop making TEL, 100LL is gone. They are in UK, which typically has more stringent environmental regulations than the US. We could see their EPA-equivalent shutting down their manufacture of TEL.

Once 100LL is gone, the industry will have no choice than to run with one (or more) of the unleaded AvGas candidates available.