Pitot Tube

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
permagray

Pitot Tube

Post by permagray »

My quickbuild wing came with two pitot lines - pitot and angle of attack. The pitot is a regulated pitot which means that it is capable of regulating when it needs to be on and how much heat to provide as well as providing a feedback loop to instruments to let you know it is indeed working. The pitot has 6 total leads, two being for the back-channel reporting, I assume. However, my quickbuild has two lower gauge (beefier) wires that go to the pitot. Is there a recommendation to try to replace those wires with a 6 wire wire run instead?

#slingsupport
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Re: Pitot Tube

Post by Sling Technical Official »

Good day

The wires from your regulated heated pitot will run to the regulator box. The box can be mounted on the inspection hatch next to the pitot cut out.
The two wires in the will provide power to the regulator box.
Here is the wiring diagram:
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

If you have the normal heated pitot tube, then you'll just have power and ground running back.
If you have the regulated one, you'll have one more signal wire that can tell the panel whether the pitot heat is actually currently heating (based on temp sensors).

Some details on the installation of it all in my build log:
https://slingtsi.rueker.com/2020/05/27/ ... itot-tube/

Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm just starting the wings this week and noticed the Sling supplied Pitot is an unheated one. My guess is what we have to upgrade to a heated pitot tube if we want to go that route. If that is the case, what are most people getting? Just the regular Garmin one like this one? https://shop.midwestpanels.com/product/ ... itot-tube/
Brian Garrett
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

Yes, that’s the one I have.