GMU 11 Installed in Right Wing

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
gordsh

GMU 11 Installed in Right Wing

Post by gordsh »

Does anyone have any details, perhaps pictures on how they installed the GMU 11 inside the Right Wing?
Sling TSi - Ontario, Canada
gordsh

Re: GMU 11 Installed in Right Wing

Post by gordsh »

Well, my wife said, "come on, go watch some Mike Patey videos and you will figure it out" So I did.

Today I fabricated a bracket out of 6061-T6 Aluminium using some rivets, M4 rivet nuts, and M4 hex screws making sure it was accessible through the existing inspection hatch while not impeding any of the flap/aileron mechanisms.

Also did a test run making sure I could install and remove from the inspection hatch only. It was not easy but very doable. If anyone sees any problems with this setup please let me know.

Here are my pictures for anyone who is interested in doing the same thing.

Sling TSi - Ontario, Canada
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Neat, just make sure that the direction of your bracket is spot on as the Tolerances for the GMU 11 are very tight.

I just happened to have helped do a GMU 11 installation in our club airplane the other day.
Make sure that it sits in flight level attitude (+/- 3 degrees) and the orientation (preferred is with the connector port facing forward) to flight straight direction (and has a +/- 2 degree forward tolerance).
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
huzilulu

Post by huzilulu »

FYI: the factory has a bracket for this specific installation - made in CAD to ensure accurate positioning (taking into account dihederal, etc)... all i had to do was ask and they very kindly sent me a GMU11 bracket that fits in the right wing!

I had posted some pics on the FB Sling Page... Good Luck!!
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi huzilulu - I'm not on FB... any chance you could post the bracket information here as well?

Thanks - Brian
Brian Garrett
permagray

Post by permagray »

Hi - We will see how it works out, but I just installed mine on the access cover - with the connector facing the fuselage. The tricky thing is the wiring - I ran it down the gap between the rear spar and the ribs. Won't know if it works for several months.