Forward Ballast

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
Mayeuxs

Forward Ballast

Post by Mayeuxs »

Has anyone come up with a practical way to add forward ballast? The ability to add and remove some forward weight depending on the loading situation would be very nice. It would be a shame to have to land not for fuel or bathroom reasons but because you up against the aft cg limit. Or tankering extra fuel around not because you need it but for cg reasons.

I’m considering filling the nosewheel tire with polyurethane foam. It’s used regularly in farm tractor tires to improve traction and lower cg. It goes in as a liquid then firms up but still provides a cushioning effect. Getting the wheel balanced out may be a challenge. I’ve had very good results using an old fashioned static balancer on airplane wheels in the past. Finding a dynamic balancer that would take a 5” wheel would be even better.

Not sure what the volume of the tire is but getting 7 or 8 lb that far forward would be a huge help.
Cluemeister

Re: Forward Ballast

Post by Cluemeister »

That will be one of my questions for the Sling guys at Oshkosh.
arjenv

Post by arjenv »

I am not at that stage yet, but will be looking at getting a metal box made to mount on the engine (same place as the external alternator) and putting a second battery in there. I will not be putting an external alternator and so this will be in its place.
Skepilot

Post by Skepilot »

I've been brainstorming removable ballast ideas, too. Something forward of the firewall would be ideal due to the moment arm, but perhaps not as easy to implement. So here's an idea: Have some lead molded (or steel machined) to the exact dimensions of the floor in front of the front seat(s). Have a handle molded in as well. Wrap it in the same carpet as the floor, so when it's in place, it's basically invisible. Matching the shape to that of the floor keeps it from sliding around.

Moment arm isn't as ideal as something forward of the firewall, but it's still forward of the pilot seats and fuel tank datum. And super easy to add or remove as needed. I don't have the floor dimensions handy, but to get a ballpark idea, a 14" x 14" x 1" sheet of lead weighs 80 pounds. Or, same size piece in steel would weigh 55 pounds. Use just one or two (one on each side) as needed.