Oxygen concentrator

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
Striker

Oxygen concentrator

Post by Striker »

An oxygen concentrator mounted as forward as possible, ie under the cowling, would help CG and of course allow for higher altitudes.
So the question is, is there a good oxygen concentrator that works by simply applying power or do they have a touch panel with options like the inogen aviator does. A touch panel would be bad if it was to be mounted remotely.
And does an oxygen concentrator work well in an outside environment such as a cold environment like altitude brings.
ibgarrett

Re: Oxygen concentrator

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm not far enough along yet to know how much extra room there is in the engine area, but I suspect it's not much. It would however be an ideal place to put such a unit and then move the control functions to the interior of the aircraft. That would work well as long as the unit didn't die and need to be replaced with a newer unit with a different control panel.

As for the cold environment... the one benefit in the cowling area is the engine itself may heat the immediate area. The downside is it would bypass the recirculated warm air inside the cabin and possibly introduce CO2 into the cabin via the O2 cannula. I'm not sure what the source is for the input on the unit, but you might be able to get away with having an O2 supply from inside the cabinet to the unit - but I don't think that's how it would work.

It's probably do-able but would take some work to put it together... but I like the idea. :)
Brian Garrett
okent

Re: Oxygen concentrator

Post by okent »

I have an Inogen and they are pretty compact. It will easily fit in the foot area or lap or hang off the back of the seat. Not heavy at all. Less than 5 pounds. I would not mount it outside the cabin area.