Fuel Capacity - Mains, new mains & Long Range?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
msejourne

Fuel Capacity - Mains, new mains & Long Range?

Post by msejourne »

Greetings gentlemen,

As many of you have already seen in previous posts (Weight & Balance AFT CG Concerns), I built an Excel Spreadsheet to explore the airplane's AFT CG issues. One of the solution is to have as much fuel (forward CG) on board. However, there is a rumour that starting in March 2021 the main tanks capacity has been increased. In accordance with paragraph 1.4.8. page 1-7 of the latest Sling 4 TSi Pilot Operating Handbook - Rev 3.0 dated 14 July 2021, the fuel capacities are as follows:

46.5 US Gals Standard Tanks
52.3 US Gals Long Range Tanks
21.1 US Gals Long Range Tanks (option see para. 9.2.1 page 9-2)

In my honest opinion, the manual is somewhat misleading and I am confused :? ... Does that mean the following?

PRE-MARCH 2021
46.5 US Gals Standard Tanks
67.6 US Gals Total

POST-MARCH 2021
52.3 US Gals Long Range Tanks
73.4 US Gals Total

#slingsupport
In order to avoid any confusion, I am hoping that Sling Technical will pipe in and make it clearer or perhaps even amend the manual for clarity.

Any comments, inputs or clarification by any members would also be greatly appreciated!

Here is to building a strong airplane with an equally strong future!!!

Mike
msejourne

Re: Fuel Capacity - Mains, new mains & Long Range?

Post by msejourne »

Good day everyone,

I just received the following information earlier and IMHO that is good news and if the information is correct. I would think it is correct considering the source but I would still like to #slingsupport to validate the data. If that is the case, I most likely will not opt for the LR tanks with my High Wing next year.
First, we understand that the Factory increased the Sling TSi low-wing fuel capacity to 53.2 gallons for the standard tanks as of kits shipped starting in March. Long-range tanks are therefore reduced to 6.6 gallons a side (13.2 for both)! This is the same for the High-Wing!

That means the standard tanks, at 145 KTAS and 7.3 gallons per hour, yields over a 940 nautical mile range with IFR reserves. Please let your customer know before placing the order they’ll be paying $3,500 for only 12.2 gallons increased capacity.

Thank you,
Nicole Rise
Service Advisor and Sales at Midwest Sky Sports
A 1750 Speirs Drive Caro, MI 48723
P

E
sales@mwskysports.com

W
www.mwskysports.com
This should stir the bee hive a bit... :lol:
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

I was told the same at Oshkosh, and I believe it is accurate.

If so, I see no reason for long range tanks, even on the low wing, as they don’t provide that much more range, and they don’t help that much with the rear cg issue. You’re better off to do standard tanks and a additional weight forward of the cg.

53 gallons is crazy long range.
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion caused, and herewith an explanation:

In mid 2020, the main tanks were increase in size from 88L to 99L per side. This was done by increasing span-wise length of the tank by one rib. The long range tanks are separate from the main tanks, and are located in the leading edge of the wing, much like the mains, but towards the wingtip. The different tank volumes (total) are as follows:

Old Main Tanks:
Main Tank - 88L / 23.2 GAL (176L / 46.5 GAL Total)
Long Range Tank - 40L / 10.6 GAL (80L / 21.1 GAL Total) (Option)

New Main Tanks:
Main Tank - 99L / 26.2 GAL (198L / 52.3 GAL Total)
Long Range Tank - 26L / 6.9 GAL (52L / 13.7 GAL Total) (Option)

The POH will be amended, and clarity will be given.

The HW features the new tank volumes.
Last edited by Sling Technical Official on Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

52 gallons for an airplane that averages 7-8 gph means 6-7 hours flight time. Very impressive With 900-1000 lbs useful load, even full tanks allows 600-700 lbs of people and stuff.
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Cluemeister wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:22 am 52 gallons for an airplane that averages 7-8 gph means 6-7 hours flight time. Very impressive With 900-1000 lbs useful load, even full tanks allows 600-700 lbs of people and stuff.
Bladder range vs. fuel range :lol: