Wing rivet question

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
ibgarrett

Wing rivet question

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm working on the wing assembly and during the assembly there is a support bracket where the ribs are attaching to the wing. As much as I've stared at the diagram on page 14 of the Wing KAI I don't see any indication of rivets being applied to from the rib into the support bracket. There very clearly are lined up holes to receive rivets on both the rib and the support bracket. The "only" part on the diagram where there is any indication "maybe" for extra rivets is the "A" item next to where the torque tube goes at the top of the diagram - but that's on the wrong side of the wing spar.

Based on the alignment of the holes as mentioned above there clearly needs to be rivets there. I skipped ahead several pages to the close out section and nothing is indicated. I'm planning on putting rivets in either way, so it's more along the lines of the direction of the rivets that I'm concerned about. My assumption is the rivet gets inserted through the rib into the support bracket - which makes sense to me... but since I bat about 10% on being right most of the time I wanted to double-check to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

If you need pictures of what I'm talking about, let me know and I'll take some today when I'm working.
Brian Garrett
Cyrus

Re: Wing rivet question

Post by Cyrus »

I would apply them from the rib into the bracket. Looking at the arrows indicating direction (there are 2, which is confusing), the rear of the rib gets them installed from the rib to brackets 2 & 3, and the front of the rib gets them installed through piece 8 and into parts 5 & 6. Also, note the diagram in the center of the page, it calls out the rivet sizes required, since there are 2 different sizes going through piece 8.
Cyrus
Sling TSi in progress.
ibgarrett

Re: Wing rivet question

Post by ibgarrett »

Yeah, I’m just not seeing it on the diagram. It totally makes sense rivets need to be in there and I also agree with your direction of assembly. Most of these rivet sizes make sense because you want the rivet inserted that fills the hole at the appropriate size.

I’ll plod on with filling in the holes I’m finding with rivets. I appreciate the reassurance. :)
Brian Garrett