Fuel tank sealant question - how much material?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
ibgarrett

Fuel tank sealant question - how much material?

Post by ibgarrett »

I’m getting ready to start the standard sized fuel tanks and I’m not seeing anywhere in the instructions how much of the CS3204 sealant is required for this part of the build. I’m looking at the https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ealant.php in the 3.5oz size.

Thanks - BRian
Brian Garrett
arjenv

Re: Fuel tank sealant question - how much material?

Post by arjenv »

I am almost ready for the fuel tank and after speaking to another builder I am going to order (for both fuel tanks):
4 x Kit 2: 6 oz cartridge (Fill: 3.5 oz. sealant)
1 x Kit 3: 6 oz can (Fill: 16 oz. sealant)

Rationale: The cartridges are for the inside seams of the fuel tanks. The can is for the outside ribs and any other remaining bits that are not hard to access.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

Cool - thanks, that’s great for the reference and I’ll follow suit. How are you planning on applying the 16oz material?

I know that the cartridges are a bit smaller than a standard sized caulk gun… Evan had a 3-d printed insert that would allow for a caulk gun to be used in his first build video. I’m not sure about getting something like that as i don’t have a 3-d printer.
Brian Garrett
arjenv

Post by arjenv »

From the 16 oz can, I am just going to mix up as needed and use a lollipop stick to apply or put in into a plastic bag with a hole cut out to squeeze it out. Basically the same as how the guy in the Vans video does it:

For catridges I am either going to borrow an air-powered gun or buy one of the ones aircraft spruce recommends (air-powered gun 12-02923, 12-02922, 12-02921, or 12-02920)
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

True true... I have watched that video before... keep forgetting it's out there AND IS SO LONG!!... :)

I'll give it a watch here again.
Brian Garrett