Aileron Assembly question

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
ibgarrett

Aileron Assembly question

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm working on the Aileron Assembly at the moment and I find the note interesting: "Item 6 , 15 , 16 and 17 are in the Finishing kit packing list but they must be installed in the Aileron before the skin has been riveted"

So item 17 is the HW-ANB-416-X-X-0 / AN4 - 16A Bolt which holds together the AI-SPC-001-X-A-0 / Aileron Spacer (Inner) and the HW-ANN-041-L-X-0 / AN4 Low Profile Nut (LH Thread)... but without the bolt these parts seem like they'll be floating around until I get to the finishing kit. That part isn't that big of a deal as I can keep track of them, but I'm really curious as to the reasoning behind this process. Why not just include the bolt since it looks like this is going too be tough to rivet together until I have the bolt attached?

In looking forward in the plans - the same type of action is done on the Flaps.

I guess I'll find out as I move along... but if anyone has any insight as to why it's done this way I'd sure love to know a bit more behind why it was done this way.

Thanks - Brian
Brian Garrett
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Aileron Assembly question

Post by PhilipRueker »

The bolts and spacers are standard hardware, so those extras I just store in a small drawer cabinet to use for whatever the next part is that I'm building (and have it labelled with both the Sling labelling as well as what it is like AN4-16A bolt), so it's easy enough to keep track of.

As to the why it's in the finishing kit, I guess the factory just figured that people would order all kits together, so it's not that big of a deal, but yes if someone only bought the wing kit, they'd be stuck on this step since you need to install the rod that connects to the bolt before riveting.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
PatrickC

Post by PatrickC »

Here is what the factory's technical support told me:

"It’s much easier to install the eyebolt before closing the aileron skin however it can still be installed afterwards with a socket and extension working through the holes in the rib.

The split between the kits was done mainly for costing purposes.

If I were you I would leave the top of the aileron open until I get the finishing kit."

Overall I am still very impressed with the quality of the kits, but this is one decision I don't understand. I couldn't build the aileron assembly due to a missing eyebolt which was left out for kit "costing purposes", but the wing kit included the fiberglass fairings that don't go on until the wing is assembled to the fuselage. Fortunately I just got my finishing kit last week, so I am going to dig out the parts I need and finish the ailerons before starting the fuselage.

I did not have the same issue with the flaps, everything needed was included in the wing kit.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I definitely have to second the build quality of the kit. I took an RV Build course as a primer for my build and they emphasized demurring (learning how to do that along the way) and the parts I have are very clean overall. I have to debur here and there but nothing major.

I’ve built the wings as far as I can as I’m missing torque tubes (come on air shipping), but after the wing assembly and fuel tank work the ailerons and flaps are a breeze to put together.
Brian Garrett