TSi Quick Build Question:

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
MstrAv8r

TSi Quick Build Question:

Post by MstrAv8r »

I’m seeing some conflicting info about the QB fuse and wing regarding Alodining. Do they come Alodined? If so, how extensive is the coverage? I’m thinking of ordering the QB, but not if there is no corrosion preventative.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year, Andy
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: TSi Quick Build Question:

Post by PhilipRueker »

The Sling planes are using 6061-T6, which is already fairly resistant to corrosion (compared to say 2024 which is used in Vans RVs, which is why priming is a much higher concern there).

As for the Alodining, I think the factory alodines ready-to-fly machines, but not by default kits, but you can probably request it be done for you.

Pinging #SlingSupport for more details directly from the factory.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
MstrAv8r

Post by MstrAv8r »

My wife is in the FB group (I don’t don’t support tech oligarchs), and a guy posted a picture of 3 QBs with Alodine on them, but I believe he was in Holland. I am either going this route, or AKZO primer, as nothing isn’t an option for my build.
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

The quick build aircraft supplied by the factory are assembled with alodined parts. The balance of the kit parts are supplied with the protective film and label on it. The kit builder will have to alodine or prime these parts before assembly.
MstrAv8r

Post by MstrAv8r »

Awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply! IMHO, there is a reason why the factory is corrosion treating the parts. It is too large of an investment (if you view it as such, as of late, appreciation of GA planes makes it appear they may be) not to take steps to preserve it.

I’m really leaning toward a QB fuselage at this point. Thanks again to all for the responses.
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

I'm also interested in the corrosion protection question. We have a Sonex, which is also made of 6061-T6, and while it may be more corrosion resistant than other alloys, it is not holding up to the awesome corrosion-inducing environment of Hawaii. Our plane is not painted and the skins need constant repolishing to not look terrible. Of course we have no way of seeing what the inside looks like... I would definitely Alodine my plane if at all possible, unless maybe if I planned on the plane living in Arizona for its entire life.

One question about alodining though: what about the rivets? Are they also 6061-T6? I assume you can't alodine all the rivets, so wouldn't that make them a weak point? It seems the likelihood of moisture wicking in under the rivets and corroding them would be high, and the rivets are presumably the most stressed parts, too.
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

I plan on using Corrosion-X about a year after construction/paint is complete.