Kit completness?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
escalantea

Kit completness?

Post by escalantea »

After building an RV-12iS (almost done...) I was pleasantly surprised the kit includes almost everything you need. Even the fully-finished, powder-coated panels with silk-screened placards already in place. Avionics, full wiring harness, optional ready-made fuel tank, etc. Only need to get, besides the tools, sealers, glues, sanding paper, paint and stuff like that.

Reading the ordering instructions for the TSi, it is not clear if everything is included, I do see some interesting options available but not the clear indication everything can be included. (I'm referring to the full build option, not the Quickbuild)

It would not be hard for TAF to include a "Dynamic configurator" to the ordering section, to sort all this out, similar to what VANS does.
Can someone comment on this?
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Kit completness?

Post by PhilipRueker »

The kit is very complete and has all the core parts to build the airplane included, precut and predrilled including the rivets, nuts and bolts.
On a visit from my local EAA chapter Technical counselor, he was very impressed how the Sling kit is organized and he has seen a lot of many other kits (including many Vans kits) before.

The two main parts you organize yourself is the Avionics & Lights and the Engine parts.

When you say full-build you mean that you will build everything yourself, correct?

I ordered my kit with TAF USA in Torrance and got the whole kit, minus the Electronics and Upholstery (As I'll order that later when I've decided on a color scheme) in one order. So I basically got the Empennage, Fuselage, Wings, Undercarriage, and the Finishing kit.

I also had them build out the "standard" quickbuild, so the factory in South Africa assembled parts of the Wings including the Fuel Tanks as well as main portion of the Fuselage structure.
I know some other people that have only had the factory or so build the Fuel Tanks.

Have you talked with Barry from TAF in Torrance to go through your options?
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
escalantea

Post by escalantea »

Thanks, Philip.
I'm planning a trip to Torrance (from So FL) early next year.
The thing I really liked from the RV-12iS Kit is that I got all the parts needed
The Avionics also came complete (after selecting the options I wanted)
The lights also came complete (also had some selection)
The wire-harness came from VANS via Steinair, very well done
The upholstery came from VANS via Flightline Interiors (Abby), after a Selection, also very nice
All the fiberglass farings

I did see TAF has some basic optional items and heard one of the Build Help Centers building the tanks for the wings. Midwest Panel Builders sells the Avionics and wiring harness for the Sling TSi

I guess I will find out (and will post) more during the visit to Torrance,
Cth6

Re: Kit completeness

Post by Cth6 »

Interested in hearing this answer as well.

The RV-12/12is is a bit unique in that in order to qualify as an ELSA you must build to Vans specs. Hence why the kit is complete, with a handful of options. Sure that goes out the window with an EAB build or as soon as you get your ELSA airworthiness certificate.

The Sling 4 and TSI, since it is not an LSA does not require the builder to conform to manufacture build specifications. I would equate it more to the RV-7,9,10,14 builds. Yes I realize this is a four place, but the mainstream Vans kits leave the engine and instrumentation up to the builder. So.....

If you were to only build the 5 kits, what is left. It is easy to say engine and instruments, but I am interested to see what that really means. For example, is the aux fuel pump included in the 5 kits or do I have to source that as a part of the engine. Do I need to source an engine mount or is that included in the finishing kit.

Similarly for the instrument kit are any of the typical components of an instrument package included in the build? For example, is the static or pitot plumbing included in the 5 kits. Do I need to source a main buss or is that included in the finishing kit.

Vans does a pretty good job out outlining what is and isn’t included in the base kits as well as where you need to make some decisions to make the final install easier (ex, are you going to use a 2 axis ap and what type). The prices seem a bit high, so I am assuming (deadly word) that many of the airframe components are included (aux fuel pump, fuel lines to the engine, main electronics buss, ....)

CT
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

The TSi kit is very complete, and very well organized. It comes with everything you need to build the plane, and the plane is totally designed around the Rotax 915is. Because of this, you will need to factor in the cost of the 915 into the build, and consider it "part of the kit"

The wiring harness is not part of the kit, but there are several panel builders who can make it for you. Don't forget the cost of the harness is built into the price of the -12 kit, so it really is a wash anyway. They can't provide harnesses for the TSi because the Avionics is pretty much the only part of the build that has room for customization. Sure you can customize some other parts of the plane like which lights to use, what color to paint the plane, but other than that the kit is pretty much all set up for you