Kit configuration: Parachute pros and cons?

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
SYankee

Re: Kit configuration: Parachute pros and cons?

Post by SYankee »

If I opted for the new BRS chute which is now available for the TSi, it appears that with full fuel in my main tanks, my plane becomes a 2 seater with the option to use the rear seats for luggage, but not adults. Could there be an error in my mass & balance calculations?
Heftiger

Post by Heftiger »

lutorm wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:27 am I'm looking at the plans and I'm now wondering why the baggage weight isn't increased if you don't have the parachute. Someone above said the chute assembly weighs ~60 lbs and the chute bag seems to be sitting on the baggage floor inside the box. So, it seems a significant fraction of those 60# are carried by the baggage floor, so why can't that weight be reallocated to luggage in planes without chutes?
I had the same question. I haven’t been able to get a good answer. I think CG was mentioned but it should still be the same combined weight… 🤷🏻‍♂️
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

SYankee wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:44 am If I opted for the new BRS chute which is now available for the TSi, it appears that with full fuel in my main tanks, my plane becomes a 2 seater with the option to use the rear seats for luggage, but not adults. Could there be an error in my mass & balance calculations?
There's some discussion about this in the other thread called "considering dropping parachute". There, the empty weight of 135WT, which has a parachute, is quoted at 1184lbs. Max gross is 2095 so that leaves 911 lbs useful load, minus 54*6 =324 lbs of full at full tanks, leaving 587 lbs for passengers and luggage. You should be able to fit 3 adults, at least weight wise. I think with less fuel, CG becomes a concern instead. (Note that you couldn't realistically fit 4 adults without the chute either.)

I think few 4-seaters can actually carry 4 adults and full tanks, you almost always have to compromise between load and range. According to google, even a Cessna 182 has a useful load of 1100 lbs and a full fuel weight of 520 lbs leaving 580 lbs for passengers and luggage, remarkably similar to the TSi...
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

lutorm wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:27 am I'm looking at the plans and I'm now wondering why the baggage weight isn't increased if you don't have the parachute. Someone above said the chute assembly weighs ~60 lbs and the chute bag seems to be sitting on the baggage floor inside the box. So, it seems a significant fraction of those 60# are carried by the baggage floor, so why can't that weight be reallocated to luggage in planes without chutes?
#slingsupport could you comment on the rationale for max baggage weight being the same with and without the parachute?
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
SYankee

Post by SYankee »

Thanks. Your logic on the available weight supporting 3 adults is correct, however, with a chute, it appears your CG is outside Slings recommended envelope…that’s if you use their calculations for mass & balance in the POH. I did see your question to Support on how they treat luggage in mass & balance calculations…because you are right, we have the same CG problem even without a chute with 3 adults and full fuel.
CDSmith

Post by CDSmith »

Not a reply to the baggage weight increase, but rather something that occurred to me that reinforced my decision to put in a chute.

Took my son back to university after Easter weekend. Was flying a modern glass cockpit bird WITHOUT a parachute, so had lots of info about conditions.

Spent 2+ hours alone in the dark over mostly unlit terrain. As we all do, kept thinking about "if things went pear-shaped right now, what would I do? ...

Even at 8K feet, the only airfields in glideable distance were unlit private airstrips for a good portion of the flight.

With a parachute, I would have had options if I couldn't see where I was going to put down. Not having a chute made the trip a bit more tense. I could have waited and flown in the morning in daylight, but night flights are something I really normally enjoy.

I trust my skills and decision making as a pilot. But the chute availability gives me more options in more situations, including addressing minimal visibility for airfield location and landing, regardless of the reason. Thats a skill I can't develop - seeing something in the dark. I don't think that's an edge-case, and my regret avoidance is strong.
Sling Technical Official
Sling Aircraft Official

Post by Sling Technical Official »

The main baggage compartment and extension have been tested to a specific baggage weight. If we were to increase this, testing would have to be done and relevant documentation updated. For this reason, we are not going increase the maximum baggage weight in the near future. I suggest placing heavier baggage on the rear seats and in the rear footwell, if there are no rear passengers of course.