Rudder light and wiring

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
Stingy Pilot

Rudder light and wiring

Post by Stingy Pilot »

Hi - I am confused with Rudder beacon and wiring

Beacon: the rudder tip max width is 1.5" but the options I find in the market (Aveo Minimax Ariel is supposed to be a good option) are closer to 1.75" width. I even asked the factory, and they recommended SimplePack Tail Nav , which is also 1.70". Am I missing something?

Wiring: according to the manual, we need to use the 5-core wire for the rudder (rudder beacon wiring) and the 4-core wire for the vertical stabilizer (i assume it's still for the rudder beacon ). I am not sure I follow; shouldn't we use 4-core for the rudder beacon (rudder and vertical stab) and the 5-core wire for the trim motor (passes through the horizontal stabilizer and elevator)?

Thanks!
Saving pennies while spending thousands
arjenv

Re: Rudder light and wiring

Post by arjenv »

Beacon: You have to widen the fibreglass rudder tip with more fibreglass cloth and resin to get it to the width of the light that you are using. This is what I have done. You only have to do this where the light is, not the entire width of the rudder tip.

Wiring: The trim servo needs 5 wires and the rudder beacon needs 4 wires.
Stingy Pilot

Re: Rudder light and wiring

Post by Stingy Pilot »

Thanks! Using widen the fiberglass tip with cloth and resin seems like the obvious solution. Of course, it didn't cross my mind :D
Saving pennies while spending thousands