Rivets and CG Thought

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
GregV

Rivets and CG Thought

Post by GregV »

I'll preference this by saying I have no idea, but I have this idea.

I have read a lot about Center of Gravity Weight issues especially with parachute options installed. It made me wonder about ways to increase the forward weight without taking up space.

So, the question - Rivets... Stainless are stronger than Aluminum and are at least 1/3 heavier. Anyone see where this is going?

Is it crazy to think riveting with stainless for all wing forward areas would increase the forward CG while providing the same if not better structural strength?

Anyone have thoughts to how much weight this would add and would it shift the moment forward enough to matter?
arjenv

Re: Rivets and CG Thought

Post by arjenv »

This would not how I would approach it. You would make your plane unnecessarily heavier and you can't take it out when you need it and when the CG is not an issue. My understanding is that the CG is only an issue when you have 4 adults in the plane and low on fuel.
When you are flying by yourself or with one passenger it is not an issue and you always want to be as light as possible for performance but also for emergency situations (the lighter you are the lower your touch-down speed in an emergency).
I think the best solution would be to add a removable weight to the front of the engine, where the external alternator can be fitted.
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I've also heard the CG isn't much (if any) of an issue without the parachute. So I'm going without.

The parachute is a "nice to have" but not a "need to have" IMHO.
Brian Garrett
GregV

Post by GregV »

agreed. I am likely to order with the option and proceed from there.