Elevator gusset misalignment

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
gaking

Elevator gusset misalignment

Post by gaking »

Hi

Has anyone come across this issue before and found a solution (Sling Technical hasn't): when cleco'ing the left elevator together, I tried to install the gusset plate (EL-BKT-005-X-E-0) which ties the left Rib 2 to the Trim Mounting Channel and could not get the one rivet hole which is meant to align with Rib 2 (on the short vertical section of the "T"-shaped part) in the correct place. The three holes on the trim channel side align perfectly, the rest of the skin is cleco'd to the internal structure and everything aligns perfectly, Rib 2 aligns with the skin... all is good except for the one hole in the gusset plate. I've tried different orientations, confirmed the rib is in the correct orientation, checked the part measurements with Sling which seemed to be in order.

I cannot drill the hole to suit because the edge of the new hole will align with the existing hole, so it's just not possible to adjust this part.

I don't seem to be able to post a picture of the issue to help illustrate the problem.

Sling will send me a blank to drill my own holes, but I'm confused about why it doesn't fit and whether it points to a different assembly issue I've missed somewhere. Any thoughts?
Joe Azzarelli

Re: Elevator gusset misalignment

Post by Joe Azzarelli »

Not sure I can help but I did the elevator a couple months ago and did not have a problem.

Why are you unable to post a photo?

If you want, drop it in here for me to look at: https://www.dropbox.com/request/ZiaKYcQ7sZdwPPs5HIxr
gaking

Post by gaking »

Thanks, will send to you.

Not sure about the images issue, I don't have an attachments tab - maybe it's disabled until I've posted a few more times, not really sure.
Joe Azzarelli

Post by Joe Azzarelli »

Well it is baffling. I do not have any insight.

Anyone else want to view the photos - here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xt674xbcwc5p ... K03La?dl=0

Good luck!

Joe
gaking

Post by gaking »

So after a lot of backwards and forwards with Sling, tracing and photographing of the part, dusting off protractors, rulers and digital callipers, Sling suspects that I may have been supplied with a Sling 2 component instead of a TSi version. Waiting for a replacement to find out if it solves the problem and puts me out of my misery.
gaking

Post by gaking »

Finally received a replacement gusset which fits perfectly! Took way too long to get it considering it’s a local product but at least the problem is resolved. Was indeed the wrong part in the right packaging sent initially
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

gaking wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:01 am Finally received a replacement gusset which fits perfectly! Took way too long to get it considering it’s a local product but at least the problem is resolved. Was indeed the wrong part in the right packaging sent initially
I am glad you got it figured out.

My kit delivered March 2020 and I had some Sling 2 parts...as well as 2 lefts, 2 rights...etc.

My impression is that TAF is getting better at putting the kits together. So frustrating to a builder in the field because I assume I am doing something incorrectly