Beringer Wheels and Brakes

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
STGove

Beringer Wheels and Brakes

Post by STGove »

FYI

Beringer Wheels & Brakes for TSi
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... inger5.php

Item Description Quantity Cost Total
AV-SLIN-020(A) 6" Main Wheel 2 $1,356 $2,712
AV-SLIN-040(A) Hydrolic Lines 1 $1,363 $1,363
RA-014(A) 5" Nose Wheel 1 $566 $566
AV-DIAM-702(A) Nose Wheel Axle 1 $100 $100
AV-DIAM-702(A) Nose Wheel Axle Spacer 1 $34 $34

$4,775
Respectfully,
Steve & Emily Gove
First time Sling TSi Builders - League City, Tx
N720S (Reserved)
YouTube = N720S
HAM W1WHO
Cell: 713.818.5800
eMail: SteveEmilyGove@gmail.com
Venit inferni, sive in excelsum aqua - TEXAS Strong!
ibgarrett

Re: Beringer Wheels and Breaks

Post by ibgarrett »

Just an FYI/update on that video (as it's the one I put together). Billy is the contact at Beringer. I spent about an hour and a half with him on the phone the other day going over some of the questions/concerns that I had with the particular kit I purchased. They do now have a SlingTsi kit available. The landing gear comes pre-drilled for the Matco wheels/axles and the (square) bolt pattern for the Beringer wheels/axles are a rectangle pattern. So you will need to backfill the square bolt holes with a fiber epoxy which you can get from a boat supply store. The stuff is very easy to use and hardens up solid overnight.

The axle from Beringer (at least the one I have) is hollow in the center so there isn't a bolt attachment for the outer part of the wheel pants. So I'm going to have to have an insert made for the axle to support the wheel pants. That part is still forthcoming.

The nose wheel axle doesn't work with the bolt meant for the Matco wheel because the aluminum axle from Beringer has a smaller bore than the bolt meant for the landing gear itself. To resolve this, I worked with a machine shop to bore out the center of the Beringer axle to within 1/1,000th of an inch to accept the bolt that ships with the plane kit.

I say all this to make sure everyone knows this is NOT a drop-in 1:1 replacement and there will be some additional work to resolve any differences between the two different wheel types.

Once a get a little further along and have the system all installed I'll do an updated video.
Brian Garrett
jjdsyd

Post by jjdsyd »

That’s very helpful. Sounds like it a bit easier than before, but still not easy. The question is, are the Beringer brakes sufficiently better than the Matco brakes to justify the hassle…
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

I spoke with Barry from Torrance about this topic today. It appears that flying into/out of short strips (2,000 ft or less) at high altitudes would make a brakes upgrade meaningful. I decided to pass.
Saving pennies while spending thousands
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

jjdsyd wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:06 pm That’s very helpful. Sounds like it a bit easier than before, but still not easy. The question is, are the Beringer brakes sufficiently better than the Matco brakes to justify the hassle…
Mmmm - but they are Beringer's... ;)

As I've come to find out - it's not just the adjustment on the landing gear, but if you use their brake lines - it's the whole system that has to be rejiggered. I'll do a video with what I've done once I get all the parts together.

The good news is Beringer apparently has a Tsi kit now as per Billy from Beringer.
Brian Garrett