New member talk me into a sling

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
Mooneymike

New member talk me into a sling

Post by Mooneymike »

Hi there, new member here and potential sling builder. Currently I own a 1966 Mooney M20C and thinking about selling to buy a TSI kit. I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger because I do like the Mooney but I don’t want to be out of a plane for the duration of the build. However I am tired of maintenance on the Mooney and love the idea of being able to maintain my own plane. Any advise or persuasion to help me make the jump would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Mike
ibgarrett

Re: New member talk me into a sling

Post by ibgarrett »

Hi Mike,

I could probably make strong arguments both for and against keeping or selling. Maintenance certainly won't change a great deal going from the Mooney to the Sling, but what will change is the costs. Instead of having to pay for a A&P and certified parts, you can use far more off the shelf stuff. Dependencies upon getting things fixed could be placed right at your feet and not have any dependencies on shop time/A&P availability.

I know for me - I was in a 3-way partnership in a 210 and through a variety of circumstances in nearly 18 months of ownership I was only able to fly it for 3 of those months because of panel upgrades, wing spar, annuals, etc. etc. That's what pushed me over the edge.

When I sold the partnership in the 210 I got into a 172 club to keep my currency and basic mission flying. The costs are low and it isn't breaking my bank to fly their airplanes.

Depending upon where you're located in the country, a quick build or builders assist may be your better option for speed from parts arriving to delivery of a finished plane. I've heard order to arrival of the kit is around 10 months (Barry would have the final word on that), and then it's just as much time as you want to put into it. I chose the flat kit (not quick build, not builders assist - the whole caboodle) and I'm at about 17 months build time, building at home in my garage. I'm about 3 to 4 months from being complete. The quick build kits are about half that time. I chose the flat kit because I wanted to take the money which would have gone into the quick build and put that into a nice top shelf panel. I've hired out the things that made sense (the panel by Midwest and I'm certainly not going to paint it) and did everything else.

If you haven't flown the plane yet - take a trip out to Torrence and take the demo plane up for a ride with Jean... that may make the decision that much easier. It really is about short time time investment in the build for a long term new/nicer airplane.

But hey - I'm here to be an enabler. :D
Brian Garrett
Mooneymike

Re: New member talk me into a sling

Post by Mooneymike »

Thanks for the input Brian! I was literally just talking to my wife about making a trip out there to do just that! I do see what you’re saying about being responsible for the maintenance vs just taking it to someone. I think this is something I’m okay with due to not having maintenance on my field anyways so I have to spend time getting it there and arraigning someone to come get me. I’ve wanted to build a plane for some time and still want to keep the 4 seats so the sling seems perfect.