Tools

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
ridekorn

Tools

Post by ridekorn »

While i have the list from airplanefactory I was wondering if anyone has any additional notes or list of tools that they are using for their TSI build? I'm about to order my empennage and was wondering if there are any holes that others have found in the list, or perhaps suppliers they liked working with? Thanks
ebrunye

Re: Tools

Post by ebrunye »

Philip's list is pretty good-

https://slingtsi.rueker.com/resources/tools/

He has some tools on there that I don't personally use, and I'm sure I have several tools he does not think are necessary. For example, I use air tools often, but he does not. I like the power of air tools, but the compressor is very noisy. I absolutely love my Stanley Proset XT2 rivet gun, but I've seen nothing but positive things about the Milwaukee electric rivet gun (but mine is faster :twisted: ). So there is a good amount of flexibility to find what suits your needs best as the builder.

One thing I will say with very strong emphasis, use good tools only. Do not try to get a cheap set of drill bits, you will need sharp bits that can handle a lot of use. Don't use chinese discount tools from the cheap hardware stores like harbor freight unless you plan to only use them once on a non-critical operation. I got my engine hoist from harbor freight, because it only had to lift one engine one time. Other than that, try to buy tools only as you need them, because there are a lot of things on the TAF list that I never needed, and my build is about 85% done.
Brad

Post by Brad »

I've seen nothing but positive things about the Milwaukee electric rivet gun
I've got one issue with that gun...

We have one, and it's a pain in the ass with the 3.2mm rivets in the kit. The problem is the tube through the middle of it is just big enough so that two mandrels can go next to each other and bind up, blocking up the tube and making you stop and disassemble the entire thing to clear the jam.

You have to tip the thing backwards between each rivet to make sure the mandrel has cleared through the tube into the hopper.

Need to make a tube with a smaller diameter.
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

Brad wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:08 pm
I've seen nothing but positive things about the Milwaukee electric rivet gun
I've got one issue with that gun...

We have one, and it's a pain in the ass with the 3.2mm rivets in the kit. The problem is the tube through the middle of it is just big enough so that two mandrels can go next to each other and bind up, blocking up the tube and making you stop and disassemble the entire thing to clear the jam.

You have to tip the thing backwards between each rivet to make sure the mandrel has cleared through the tube into the hopper.

Need to make a tube with a smaller diameter.
Ya this is a common problem with all the rivet guns unless you splurge on the XT2 ;) They all drop the mandrel out slowly after the rivet is pulled. The XT2 has air suction through the tip into the collection container to avoid this issue.
permagray

Post by permagray »

I use the "Chief" Air Rivet gun from Harbor Freight. It is their highest end one. Occasional problems with mandrels jamming together inside. I usually, rivet then pull out each mandrel rather than relying on it getting into the collection container successfully. Needs to be carefully adjusted, but has been pretty reliable. I am *really* trying to only purchase the build tools I will use rather than add to my sprawling collection. I definitely reference all of your suggestions for stuff. Thus far, I have been borrowing all of my clecos from other builders at our chapter, as well as various dimpling presses.

I did also purchase the rivnut puller and then purchased two extra M4 pullers from them - though I haven't broken one yet.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

permagray wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:10 pm I use the "Chief" Air Rivet gun from Harbor Freight. It is their highest end one. Occasional problems with mandrels jamming together inside. I usually, rivet then pull out each mandrel rather than relying on it getting into the collection container successfully. Needs to be carefully adjusted, but has been pretty reliable. I am *really* trying to only purchase the build tools I will use rather than add to my sprawling collection. I definitely reference all of your suggestions for stuff. Thus far, I have been borrowing all of my clecos from other builders at our chapter, as well as various dimpling presses.

I did also purchase the rivnut puller and then purchased two extra M4 pullers from them - though I haven't broken one yet.
If I were to build an aluminum airplane . . . I would not be without this.

https://www.stanleyengineeredfastening. ... proset-xt2
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Love my Milwaukee, as others have noted the 3.2 mm can be an issue, I just pull them out of the nose (it's now a full fledged habit that I don't even notice anymore) The tool is easy to take apart. I also have the long nose adapter (Home Depot) I have found it useful for some places that are hard to reach.

A swivel head hand riveter.

Order extra copper color clecos you'll need then and the tongues on some will get bent so I just toss them as I catch the bad ones. (Brown Tools)

A good Rivnut setting tool with various Metric sizes

the jobber reaming bits of the different sizes to match the rivet holes have been great for clean rivet holes when the parts holes just don't line up perfectly for the rivet to go in. (Brown Tools)

An inspection camera with articulating head has helped me confirm all is well.

The best tool of all? Sites like this. I have bookmarks of as many builders logs as I can find to make up for the sparse build manuals. All have answered my emailed questions (thanks to you all!)

Patience. Because many of us have been waiting for missing/wrong parts for some time. I still can't even start on the elevator yet because one of the first parts to start it was ordered almost 5 months ago.
arjenv

Post by arjenv »

Hi Philip,
Just a question on your drill bit selection. You have listed this drill bit set:
These drill bit sizes are all in inches: 2 x 1/16", 2 x 5/64”, 2 x 3/32”, 1 x 7/64”, 2 x 1/8", 1 x 9/64”, 1 x 5/32”, 2 x 3/16”, 1 x 7/32”, 2 x 1/4", 1 x 5/16”, 1 x 3/8"

The airplane factory recommends: Drill bit set with extra bits (sizes are mm dia.): 2.4, 3.1, 3.3, 4.1, 4.9, 6.4, 8.0 and 9.4.

I am just curious as to why you have chosen to go with drill bit sizes in inches?

Thank you BTW for your list of tool. That is very helpful.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

That's just a general purpose drill bit set that comes in handy every now and then and it's easier to get a set of inch based drill bits living in the US.

For drilling and reaming the rivet holes, here are the appropriate sizes I use: https://slingtsi.rueker.com/resources/d ... et-sizing/
Those ones you can buy individually, for example from ATS (https://www.aircraft-tool.com/).
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
ibgarrett

Post by ibgarrett »

I'm starting my tool shopping and was at Home Depot looking for the Rigid Pipe Flaring tool ( and they have a 45 degree flare kit which is about 1/3 the cost. Is there much of a difference in the products?
Brian Garrett