Elevator

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
AaronG

Elevator

Post by AaronG »

Working on the elevator spar assembly and got to where you add the center channel. There are two long center plates that go in between the center channel and the spar (step 6 in the manual). I got one of the two in and figured I would stop and check with the forum before moving on. It was easy to get started, but it was a bit of an exercise to get it to line up with the spar holes. For about the last 1/4 inch, I had to use a rubber mallet and wood block to tap it all the way into place. I checked pics from several builders blogs and it looks like I interpreted the manual correctly and slotted it in the correct place. Do others remember the fit being this tight for these two center plate strips?

Google Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/byBE7JG3usxpVogS8
Building Sling TSi since Jan 2020
ebrunye

Re: Elevator

Post by ebrunye »

AaronG wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:02 pm Working on the elevator spar assembly and got to where you add the center channel. There are two long center plates that go in between the center channel and the spar (step 6 in the manual). I got one of the two in and figured I would stop and check with the forum before moving on. It was easy to get started, but it was a bit of an exercise to get it to line up with the spar holes. For about the last 1/4 inch, I had to use a rubber mallet and wood block to tap it all the way into place. I checked pics from several builders blogs and it looks like I interpreted the manual correctly and slotted it in the correct place. Do others remember the fit being this tight for these two center plate strips?

Google Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/byBE7JG3usxpVogS8
You're doing it right, it was a tight fit for me as well. Nicely done, build on friend!
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Yes it's a tight fit and took some finagling to get it to line up as you said, but looks the same as mine:
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

Thanks for the info on prior elevator question. The next unclear item is related to the Trim Servo Mounting Bracket. It was simple to attach to the spar/rib. This bracket plate has four holes on the bottom that are 4.0mm. The left skin has four holes that are 3.2mm that line up. There are four M3 rivnuts and M3 buttonhead screws in the hardware package. There is nothing in the instructions describing these three things. At first I thought the 4 rivnuts were to go in these four holes for mounting the trim servo later. However it appears the skins are flush up against the bottom of this bracket plate, so that does not appear to be their use.

I have a question in to the factory about this, but thought I would ask the group in case others have same question. The instructions do not direct to rivet the four skin holes to the four bracket holes so perhaps they are left open until later for servo installation? Also did others have these 4 M3 rivnuts in their elevator package and if so - where do those get used on the elevator as the instructions are silent on these rivnuts?
AaronG

Post by AaronG »

I got a good response back from the factory to clarify. It looks like for now, nothing is done with these four left skin/bracket holes and M3 rivnuts until ready to install the trim servo. The M3 rivnuts are actually for attaching to the trim servo itself and the buttonhead screws attach through the skins. A picture can be seen on page 116 of the current maintenance manual and the trim servo assembly instructions picture the factory sent a picture of.

Google Photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PzxBdR3oQNyncyr16