Vertical Stabilizer

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling TSi.
permagray

Vertical Stabilizer

Post by permagray »

Please explain the bifurcated instructions regarding VOR antenna/Tail light vs non-VOR antenna - regarding wiring. Question: why would wiring be different depending on the VOR antenna. (BTW: I am not planning on having a VOR antenna, but am considering putting the wiring for the antenna in the VS - just in case) I have already built the rudder and put the wiring in there for the light. Where would the light light be mounted if one had a VOR antenna. Just sort of confused why the wiring would be different.
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Vertical Stabilizer

Post by PhilipRueker »

From my understanding, the warning is if you were planning to install an old traditional high voltage strobe, which may cause interference with a VOR antenna.
But with new LED strobe/beacon, there is no concern, so I (as have other builders), have put both wires in.

Also I know that the factory in South Africa will sometimes instead mount the strobe light on the bottom of the tailcone, but from my reading of the FARs, I don't know if that would quite satisfy the lighting requirements here in the US, hence I have both the light on the Rudder (wired via the VS), as well as the VOR Antenna in VS.

I checked with Adam from Midwest Panels about this when I did it myself and the above was basically his consensus as well.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
permagray

Post by permagray »

I have a concern and a question about the VS instructions and some of my parts. 1) on page E 3.3, Step 2 - When I put the parts 11 & 12 (reinforcement plates) on the Channel 5, the holes on the flat side line up fine, but the side holes, though close, are about a mm out of alignment. Since the sides don't get riveted until the skins are on, I am sure that I will not be able to insert the rivets without re-drilling the holes. I worry about losing structural integrity by doing that. (That is the concern)

The question is in Step 3 where where you do the rivnuts. Firstly, the holes are punched for M3 not M4 rivnuts. Though the directions do not state this, I assume I will need to drill them out for the M4 rivnuts? The second part of the question regards the number of rivnuts. The diagram and count are for 7 on each side for a total of 14. However, on the part number 14 that I have, there are only 6 (not 7) holes punched for M3 on each piece. (The other 5 holes are either 3.2 or 4mm - can't remember which) So .. my guess would be they only wanted 6 rivnuts per side, but the directions clearly show otherwise.

Basically, these two questions/concerns keep me from doing anything on the whole page.

Thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nWXttkXG3dTWgHrK9
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

Might be an issue with the bend with the alignment, so you might want to ask the factory and probably get a new part.

As for the rivnuts, yes I remember I had to enlarge those holes for M4 and yes I did all 7, plus then in step 4 there's 2 more for each side at the very bottom.
Here's the writeup on my blog: https://slingtsi.rueker.com/2019/05/06/ ... tabilizer/
permagray

Post by permagray »

Thanks. I will be working on it today and do a write-up for the Gotchas section - Just one page of the manual and most of the steps need to be modified.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

permagray wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:35 am I will be working on it today and do a write-up for the Gotchas section - Just one page of the manual and most of the steps need to be modified.
Great spirit!
Those who follow in your footsteps will appreciate all these things you guys alert us to. In the end, they serve to save time, grief and maybe even money.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

By the way since I just saw another builder from the UK who seem to have started a YouTube channel to document his build and had the same question about the 7 + 2 rivnuts.

The build manual is correct, even though the predrilled holes seem to be not all the same size, but they need to be upsized anyway for the M4 rivnuts.

You can refer to the Finishing kit manual page 7 & 9 where you see the rivnuts, that topmost one is under the skin and is for the Empennage Control Cover.