Cabin Heating and Air Vent

Model Specific Discussions about the Sling 2 and the Sling LSA.
glennpretorius

Cabin Heating and Air Vent

Post by glennpretorius »

My Cabin Heat is not very effective, more heat into the cabin would be nice

I have found some fresh air leaks between the NACA scoop air intake pipe and the connection at the back of the Plastic air vent in the panel. This i have resolved and it makes a difference as that air which was leaking at the join effectively mixed with any warm air from the cabin heat and cooled it down.

Unforunatrly air from the standard vent cannot be closed off completely. Even when closed the vent leaks fresh outside air.

Does anyone have advice on another type of vent that can replace the vent.

Glenn
adelmasw

Re: Cabin Heating and Air Vent

Post by adelmasw »

Hi Glenn,
I just started dealing with this issue in my Sling 2 now that it is cold. I stuffed T-Shirt material into the vents from the outside the best I could. On the left side I needed to get the material behind the OAT. This cut down the leakage from the vents a lot. Make sure on preflight that you check these because I discovered some of the t shirt material sneaking out. I am assuming when spring comes taking these out will be easy with a shirt hangar or long skinny medical clamps.

For the heater I find that it heats the passenger side better than the pilot side. No solution there yet except thicker pants and socks.
Saul
glennpretorius

Post by glennpretorius »

Thanks for your info.
I eventually sorted the problem and heater works very well
I removed the right hand vent ( air was leaking behind the panel where the silver ducting attaches to the vent - there are a couple of square cut outs that were not covered by the silver ducting ) you have to carefully pull the air vent out , then just pull the ducting pipe enough to make a snug fit , then re insert the vent . Be careful not to damage the panel or air vent . This solved the outside air from the NACA scoop blowing into the pedal area of the cockpit.

As for the cabin heating problem , there was a connection problem involving the exhaust muffler and air intake for the cabin heat. This was sorted out by the. AMO. The hot cabin heat air is directed more to the right side of the pedal area,
The cabin heat system is now working much better than expected and have found it very effective.
adelmasw

Post by adelmasw »

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to look into this and see if I have the same or similar issue.
Stingy Pilot

Post by Stingy Pilot »

Follow up question: does the stock heating and air vent system work sufficiently, as long as small issues arw being addressed? Evan has suggested a mod and I was wondering whether it's worth to investigate further.
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

At Oshkosh, I asked Jean if it was possible to install the TSi heater in the Sling 2. He said that it was.
I'm not sure if it's worth the time, though.
I'll have to think about ti some more when I get closer to that stage.
adelmasw

Post by adelmasw »

I was doing some thinking about this issue -- Sling 2 heating and am looking for any reaction to this.
I tried to experiment on my last flight, but it was "warm" out and the sun was shining so no conclusions.

So normally you would think that the further you pulled out the heater control the more heat you would get into the cabin.
But I started to think that the more you pulled it out the less time the air was in the heater to heat up. you are flying pretty fast and if the air comes in and makes one trip around and enters the cabin the air may be cold. It is like a direct flow in and then out.
But if you close the vent some it will keep the air in the heater longer before entering the cabin.

I still need to see if the heater control is actually connected to the door!! Just to make sure.

I am still thinking about this. Any comments?
Also interested in the comment that it is possible to put the TSI heater into the Sling 2. I may have to think about this.

Saul
N792SL
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Was there ever any follow up on this thread, regarding the Sling 2 heater?
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
wiseguy59

Post by wiseguy59 »

I'm not near the heater stage yet of the fuselage build process, but an email to: technical@slingaircraft.com could provide some insight.
I'm still trying to get an idea of the effectiveness of the heater in stock form.
If it's built correctly and still doesn't put out the heat, I'll look into going the extra mile to install the TSi heater.