Future TSI builder

Come and introduce yourself here.
CWCarr

Future TSI builder

Post by CWCarr »

Howdy All,
I live in Medford OR, but work in the Bay Area in CA, and hence need an aircraft! I am currently in an fairly old SR20, but have decided that I would like to build my own AC. Like many others, I find the intersection of performance and economy of the tsi extremely attractive. I am somewhat debating going with the low wing or waiting for the high wing.
Does anyone have any real world numbers useful load?
Wren
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Re: Future TSI builder

Post by PhilipRueker »

For the TSi the useful load is right around 1000lbs.

I don’t think there are any real world numbers for the high wing yet since they haven’t yet finished one.
I saw a picture of the cabin frame the other day.

However, you can probably expect that the high wing will be a bit slower and might have a little less useful load since they will need to strengthen some things for the wing load, as there won’t be a strut to help the wing stay up like a 172.
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
Cluemeister

Post by Cluemeister »

TAF says they are going to have a few flying high wing Tsi at Oshkosh this year. If you can hold off, you might want to see the high wing in person before making a decision.
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

I don't think you'll want to go with the high wing option if your mission is A to B airport to airport transportation.

The only advantages I can see to the high wing would be egress, getting in and out of a high wing is usually a little easier to do. Also soft field landings could be better to keep the wings further away from rocks or dust slowly damaging the underside of the wings. I guess you also have a little better view of what's beneath you, so for sight-seeing maybe its a little better as well. Basically I think the high wing will address a demographic of people who want to use the plane for a slightly more leisurely or adventurous mission.

TAF is expecting a decrease in cruise speeds for the high wing like Philip mentioned, so it is unlikely the high wing will be the more desirable option for people using the plane just for economical transport.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

ebrunye wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:54 am . . . . . TAF is expecting a decrease in cruise speeds for the high wing like Philip mentioned, so it is unlikely the high wing will be the more desirable option for people using the plane just for economical transport.
If that equates to 3-5 knots less . . . does it really make that much difference?
I guess it kinda' depends on how long you plan to fly. For me, that would be pretty negligible.
YMMV.
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

CWCarr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:49 pm Howdy All,
I live in Medford OR, but work in the Bay Area in CA, and hence need an aircraft! I am currently in an fairly old SR20, but have decided that I would like to build my own AC. Like many others, I find the intersection of performance and economy of the tsi extremely attractive. I am somewhat debating going with the low wing or waiting for the high wing.
Does anyone have any real world numbers useful load?
Wren
I am originally from Central Point. :D
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
ebrunye

Post by ebrunye »

WmInce wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 pm
ebrunye wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:54 am . . . . . TAF is expecting a decrease in cruise speeds for the high wing like Philip mentioned, so it is unlikely the high wing will be the more desirable option for people using the plane just for economical transport.
If that equates to 3-5 knots less . . . does it really make that much difference?
I guess it kinda' depends on how long you plan to fly. For me, that would be pretty negligible.
YMMV.
Well, time will tell what the performance numbers will be!