Composite/Fiberglass End Pieces

How to work with the fiberglass components of the Sling build.
MTJ

Re: Composite/Fiberglass End Pieces

Post by MTJ »

My kit (delivered March 2020) came with a Rudder Tip that was not reinforced.

It was also misshapen on one side so I had to order a replacement. I will be putting a metal strip inside.
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Which airplane?
As this was posted under "General Building Topics."
Thank you. :D
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Sorry, Tsi.
MTJ

Post by MTJ »

Anyone have a "pre=fit" photo of the composite wingtips? I just want to see how others looked. I seem to have large gaps with the skins

(gotcha? no instructions noted on mounting the tip lights that I could find... another manual?)

Thank you
WmInce

Post by WmInce »

Which airplane?
Bill Ince
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Clearwater, Florida
permagray

Post by permagray »

Elevator Composite tips - I reinforced mine with washers epoxied on the inside. Seemed to work well. Once you countersink those holes, the material seems pretty thin to hold up to a rivet pull. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qgtBvF8H6qcNeVLg7
PhilipRueker
Site Admin

Post by PhilipRueker »

permagray wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:39 am Elevator Composite tips - I reinforced mine with washers epoxied on the inside. Seemed to work well. Once you countersink those holes, the material seems pretty thin to hold up to a rivet pull. https://photos.app.goo.gl/qgtBvF8H6qcNeVLg7
Interesting picture, did your fiberglass tips not have any of the reinforcing strips for those holes that should be countersunk like I showed in my picture?
Building a Sling TSi in my Garage.
Build Log | Timelapse Progress Videos
permagray

Post by permagray »

Not that I could tell - just the same thickness front to back.
gaking

Post by gaking »

MTJ wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:33 pm Anyone have a "pre=fit" photo of the composite wingtips? I just want to see how others looked. I seem to have large gaps with the skins

(gotcha? no instructions noted on mounting the tip lights that I could find... another manual?)

Thank you
For anyone interested, I’ve just had an issue with my TSi main wing tips, the fiberglass was “squashed” for want of a better description and did not conform with the wing aerofoil profile on top, seating about 15mm below the top wing skin. Tech support suggested warming in the sun or carefully using a heat gun to change the profile. I eventually went more basic and cut two pieces of pool noodle foam to about 10mm longer than the aerofoil profile in the relevant locations. Then I inserted them vertically into the wingtips, which pushed the fiberglass out sufficiently for a snug fit for alignment and drilling. The foam is firm yet compressible. Worked well!

Hope that helps someone.